Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hatched but dead  (Read 3288 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
hatched but dead
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:49:55 pm »
We have a broody sitting on a clutch of home bred eggs - our second hatching attempt.
Two chicks hatched fine yesterday morning  :)...  today I found a third chick hatched but dead.
It was still wet, not fluffed up, and appeared still curled up in 'foetal' position but it obviously managed to get out of the shell. Looked normal otherwise.
Is this common? I thought if they manage to hatch they are usually OK. Trying to understand what might have happend - could the hens have crushed or suffocated it?

I fear the other 5 eggs will not hatch - no sign of any pipping yet, so I think time is running out... Last year only on of 6 eggs hatched (though these were bought in) so I'm getting a bit disheartened at the broody success we are having...  :(
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: hatched but dead
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
Maybe it got too cold after hatching? When I used a broody had about 50% hatch rate I know with an incubator it's important to leave them in the warm until they have fluffed up.
________
Caroline

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:42:29 pm »
When I visited Ellie one time we found a wet hatchling that couldn't find it's way to Mum to get dried out, so we enclosed her in a much smaller area and put the chick under her.  She only had the one though.  I suspect your one got lost and mum wouldn't leave the others to fetch it back.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:14:46 pm »
I found the dead chick under her, and rather warm still...
She's been sitting in a broodbox so not much space for chicks to get lost (unless they fall out bug this obviously hadn't).
I have removed the partitions so there is enough space for a wander, food and water is in front of them.
So it must be something else?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:33:08 am »
It could be that the mum had stood on it accidentally or something - I've had broodies actually turn on chicks as they hatch (liked eggs, couldn't cope with chicks) but it's probably not that if two are OK. Alternative is that mum helped it out but it was actually too weak to hatch on its own.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:41:46 am »
We have lost the odd one straight after hatching. Maybe they are strong enough to hatch but then too exhausted due to some problem and then die. I suppose human babies sometimes survive the birth process but then need support in order to survive.

We tend to have really good hatching under broodies and much prefer it to the inccie. Might just be a bit of bad luck you've had.

:fc: for the others. Have you candled them?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:21:16 am »
Found one more egg had pipped this morning... just went back to check and broody decided to desert the remaing eggs and move the family to the floor!
Oh no!!! I can see the chick inside the egg is breathing... but not sure how long she's been off it - could be an hour. Is all lost? Anything else I could be doing except checking her very often?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 10:52:20 am »
I'd take the egg indoors. break the chick out and put it under an infra red lamp to warm through.  I don't interfere or even look in on broody hens around hatching time, just put chick crumbs in a low dish and replace the normal drinker with a low-sided dish three days before hatch is due, then let them get on with it.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 03:51:20 pm »
Thanks everyone.
I meant checking on the broody to see if she will accept the egg back. But no, she is more interested to look after her hatched chicks.
Brought the egg inside and broke away carefully around the pip - I think the chick is simply not quite ready to hatch yet, membrane veins still red. So it is now in a homemade incubator keeping it warm and humid and it appears to be
OK  :fc:  :fc:
Patience required now!

Never intended incubator hatching but I think I will have to get a small one now, just in case for this kind of emergency!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:46 pm »
It is useful to have an incubator back up for when broodies decide to kick the odd egg out or give up. Hope your one makes it!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: hatched but dead (the other one made it!)
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 11:17:40 pm »
So I spent the last 14 hours staring at a hatching chick... in a homemade contraption of an incubator... So glad to say that it eventually hatched successfully, and was put back to mum once fluffed up who didn't mind the extra cheeping creature. Success! Wow, I learned a lot today.
Mainly to wait, wait, WAIT! But also to dare taking in the egg and trying to do my best although I had no clue initially and just learning while it happened(hurrah for the internet!). Dread to think of the pointless loss had I not intervened.

(And while waiting I got lucky on ebay too, so mini incubator arriving soon to have on standby.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:38:25 am by ladyK »

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 09:46:15 am »
oh well done. that's nice news on a grey day
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS