Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: do you leave modem or hub on at night?  (Read 3529 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
do you leave modem or hub on at night?
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »
we are having constant arguments about leaving the modem on or turning it off at night and when we go out...I just hate using electricity when it is not needed, so what would be the purpose of leaving it on? In some offices it might make sense if they are running scans at night but at home? Maybe computer wizzards can give me one good reason why I should leave it on  :)  :&>

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: do you leave modem or hub on at night?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »
I am keep on electric saving myself. But have to admit, that yes, I do turn the computer off on the screen, but do not turn off at the plug, so the hub is on most nights.  Cannot see any reason for keeping it on, to be honest.

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »
Everything except the fridge, freezer and radio alarm clock is switched off at the plug every night/when we leave the house. This includes the modem - been doing so for nearly 2 years in thsi house - not had any problems

ED ;D
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:39:48 pm »
If you get one of the multi-socket surge protector things, you can connect all your PC gadgets to it. Then, when you are finished with your computer, just turn the surge protector off and everything is disconnected.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:47:35 pm »
Our hub is on 24/7 not sure why. It might be becasue it takes ages to sort itself out each time its turned on. Like half an hour. I'll ask Simon. He wouldn't waste anything if he could avoid it.
 :-\
kirsty

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:31:26 pm »
My OH's friend assures us it uses as much power to switch it on and off everyday as it does having it on constantly  ??? Not sure if I believe it, but we do leave ours on, otherwise we have lots of problems getting connected.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 06:46:27 pm »
might be worth trying one of these wee meters on the plug to actually see that! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »
My OH's friend assures us it uses as much power to switch it on and off everyday as it does having it on constantly  ??? Not sure if I believe it, but we do leave ours on, otherwise we have lots of problems getting connected.
My IT son also says this and in addition it uses very little.  Mine stays on all the time.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:13 am »
Hello again Annie and all the other readers.I am sick of save the planet Do 5 miles a week less in your car switch IT off You have read or maybe not read but seen all the blurb I use economy bulbs every where in the house bar one.Because it saves me money.I tried my Weston 5 light meter against a econ:bulb and a 100w tungsten bulb and there is a marked difference don't need Gordons Hench person to tell me I am quite able to work it out for myself plus why waste money on electickery, when I can see with a less power bulb.Don't the fools think I wont save petrol where I can.I cannot afford to ride on the bus (Yes now I have a bus pass) from the bus stop nearest to here  to the hospital is 4/10ths of a mile 83pence each way The Su costs 21p a mile to operate 8/10ths 4/5ths = 17p against £1.66p I wonder why the silly old fool uses the Su.I have got to save electricity but THEY can Burn miles of motor way spec street lighting for no purpose at all car lights have never been so good.I can remember when you switched on the lamps on your Ford 8 :farmer: and got out and struck a match to see if they were alight  ;D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:01 am »
Wizard you do make me laugh, I love your way of thinking!! ;D
And yes I leave the hub awitched on all the time!, but do use energy lightbulbs, and recycle where I can, so am doing my bit, so to speak!! ;D

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:11:14 pm »
I turn mine off 'cos i run on solar power as much as possible and don't have much to spare at this time of year.

There's no reason not to turn it off (except that I sometimes forget). It takes about 30 seconds to sort itself out when turned on.

The modem/wifi base I have uses about the same amount of power as an economy bulb (i.e. about 9w) so turning it off overnight and when not using it does save electricity.

mab

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »
hello Mab Mine uses 8w according to my Maplin 13amp plug which has a socket to plug in the appliance one wishes to check.This works out at 672wpw or approx 35 units per year assuming1000w is =to 1 kwh So I agree it saves you money and as the old lady who tinkled in the sea said"Every little helps" ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS