Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gordon Brown selling Dover to France  (Read 7048 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Gordon Brown selling Dover to France
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:25 am »
But in any rational debate someone has to see the other side's point of view, and if they dont necessarily agree with it they are having to play devil's advocate.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 08:42:27 am »
Sell it, Dover is a dump anyway.

Plus, I'm scottish, I'd rather we were independent and a big bit of "britain" was portioned off, so maybe selling that wee bit at the bottom will be a start of that process.

Anyway, I thought they were gonna be selling the Chunnel - thats one of the few UK owned resources that could be sold off and privatised and no doubt we'll be flooded with rabid dogs and immigrants from garlic reeking, horse eating french surrender monkeys!!

I actual like the French and hope to live there in my dottage!

Another thing, quite funny that the Mail is making all this fuss about BRITAIN being sold off, the owner is of French Royal stock. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

I'm sure the Mail is just a front for the BNP.

It's a PORT being sold Rusty, just like any business, either all if fair in capitalism - so every business can be sold - or it's not and we we nationalise everything (oh the joys of the PO, BT and British Rail)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 11:07:41 am »
aside from the original post was really a tongue in cheek rant ....I had read the article and it is nothing new that they want to sell the port ... they were going to sell it years ago ...
  I have no problem with seeing the other point of view , even if I don't agree with it . But I don't like the use of devils advocate by people who chime in a debate with comments and then exclude themselves from any further comments or remarks by saying "I'm playing devils advocate !!!" . If they want another view point put forward , no problem put it forward .... Why chuck in a ticking bomb and then sit back and wait for the bang ?  Ok , it wasn't that bad in this case  I know , but it is the over use of DA that gets my goat , not people having different views to mine .
 Another point worth thinking about too is that the whole south east of what used to be England is now a region of the EU along with a big chunk of what used to be France .... and the English Channel is now the Channel Sea !!!!
Apart from all that ... I live in Wales now ,have done for 33 years, and think of that as my home ... so they can sell what the ***k they like really , it make no difference to me in reality .
Rule Britannia eh what ?  whats that then ?  ::) ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:40 am »
I like to chuck in the Devils advocate thing - just to catch people like you in my big trawler net!!!!!

here little fishy fishy fishy!!!!

You are right, it can be annoying if someone chucks it in and isn't at least prepared to defend the point of view.

but it is also equally funny to chuck it in and watch people fall over themselves to berate you!!!

Anyway, we should sell it and take the money, if we ever go to war with france, it'll be easy to invade and take back - providing french farmers haven't blocked the ports and all the lorries are backed up to cambridge!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:37:44 am »
there you go ... like I said earlier ..trolling !!!!  :o ;D

cheers

Russ

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »
Agreed. Either all is fair game, or none is, in a capitalist system. If you support the system, then I'm afraid nationalism (or sentimental value) has to take second place. Saying that, things that are defined as public services should always stay nationalised, in my opinion, but not at the expense of bureaucratic red tape and quangos.
I have no problems with people playing devil's advocate - they often give me a chance to think of things I haven't considered before, provided they continue the debate, playing devil's advocate. They can't say something and then scurry away, because that wouldn't be very fair to the other person, or the argument  :-\

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 05:01:49 pm »
Tell that to the Cadbury's employees ........ The Polish are sure smiling though.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »
wasn't the decision to close the bristol plant taken BEFORE Kraft made it's offer?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »
yes , some time before in fact SB.  I think what has got at many of the people who work there, is that Kraft said they would keep the place open if they were to buy Cadbury's . However , after the deal has been done , they now say that it will have to go ahead and close it , as things are too far advanced to stop now.
 How did they not know that Cadbury's had invested millions in the new plant and the change over ?
 Do these people not look at the books ?
 Do they just hand over millions of pounds without having a clue what is going on and what money is being spent and where ?
 I think the answer is obvious . They knew very well what was going on , and lied to the people who work there .
 Still , it is only business isn't it  ?...all's fair in love and war  !!.
 Kraft by name krafty by nature !!!
Oh well...anyone for some Cadbury'ski chocolate ? (or should that be Kraftski ?).

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:13 pm »
Tell you what!  Why don't we get GB to sell the whole of England and set up Border checkpoints ;) - aha, just had a thought - GB is Scottish, maybe that's what he's doing! lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 07:33:19 pm »
that's the ironic part about it really Annie , he can't sell what he has already given away !!!

cheers

Russ

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 07:41:29 pm »
Blame the shareholders for the sale of Cadbury's. The company would have gone under if not for a takeover, and there isn't a company in the UK that would have bought it over for the price, so it would have had to be a foreign company. Would we have been happy to use our money to bail them out? Personally, I'm gutted because I've always loved their products, and don't rate Kraft products at all (Velveeta cheese anyone?  :P) Of course, deciding to let the Bristol plant go is a business manoeuvre, so they can get back what they paid out, regardless of what they've promised before.
On the other hand, however, it's strange how people moan when the Polish come over to work here, because of the benefits they get etc, and yet when employment opens up over there, so they don't have to come here, people still moan. I suppose it's because it's at the expense of the jobs lost here, but we can't always have it all?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS