Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very sick goat  (Read 14331 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Very sick goat
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 09:29:04 am »
I've seen your goats lots of times, when we've popped in for a meal and they are lovely - i am so sorry & hope the rest recover.  i'm sure you'll not sleep much tonight worrying about them all.

(PS we were the folks that came for the 50th birthday meal in september for my husband if you remember)

Thanks, haven't managed too much sleep in the last 2 nights but you just have to get on with things. I can't remember what happened last week let alone months ago, sorry. Next time you are in you must say hello to me.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 09:32:34 am »
James, I'm so sorry to hear. I just pray the others will pull through.

Beth, Freddy is one of the 2 we are still worried about. Gizmo is unaffected thankfully and is really missing his pal who is normally up to mischief with him all day - every day! He seems bright enough but not eating yet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 10:25:02 am »
James,put a notice up in the bar - I'm sure everyone will understand why you can't smile just now.  Hope they all get better. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:46 am »
thats awfull sorry to hear that.
best of luck for the rest of your goats ;)
Langdon ;)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 05:06:51 pm »
My thoughts are with you and your goats James. Its a b***ard world sometimes. You are doing brilliantly just to keep working, never mind smiling.
kirsty

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
Hi james, i had the vetout last week as my goats had eaten something? when they got out. Both ended up just laying and very poorly, i fed them  shreded sugarbeet with mollasses, soaked over night in plenty of water, they really lked it especially the water that came of it, i also put some mollasses in there water. Happily they are both back to good form and being as happy as before. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rob ;D.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 10:20:10 pm »
After another nail biting day things have at last improved. All day we tried to get Freddy and Lottie to eat but to no avail, they both looked tired and lifeless. Lulu by early morning had ate her breakfast and was off playing with the others quite the thing. Then when I went out to feed them at 5pm every single goat came running for their dinner, I just about dropped with shock and relief. Freddy is now bright, sooky and starving so eating as much as he can. Lottie came over and although she didn't eat a huge amount she freely came over and ate some which is a massive improvement.

The vet has been telephoning at several times throughout the day to see if she was required. When she phoned after dinner time she was dleighted to hear the news and told me that last night she had not thought Freddy would make it through the night! So, after 4 days from hell we hopefully have light at the end of the tunnel. I will be more settled once Lottie is eating properly, but little steps is fine.

Thanks for all your kind wishes, I could sleep for a week now. Hoping that tomorrow continues on the high that today has ended.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »
Oh thank goodness! I'm very glad to hear that James. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day for them all.

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »
We even tried Freddy on a bottle this morning but he would not have it. On the other hand Gizmo went mental for his and loved every drop. Just to build Freddy up again I will try him with some milk in the morning. Freddy is going about like King Pin at the moment, he is so excited with everything and obviously enjoying feeling better and all the attention. It is so amazing to see how he turned from being so terribly ill back to more like his old self in such a short space of time.

Throughout all the stress and tears yesterday we also got a laugh. Rosie who is a large goat and 14 years old decided to mount Prudence one of my Pigmy's. Well this went on all day, remember Rosie is a million times the size of Prudy, both are obviously in season. Prudence obviously loved the attention as when it came to time for the Pygmy's to go into their own paddock for the night she ran off and stayed at Rosie's side. Eventually I just had to catch her bit as soon as she was in her own paddock she stood at the side of the fence screaming for Rosie. After a day of hell it was so funny to watch.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 10:41:38 pm »
You must be so relieved that the goats are improving.  Hopefully you will manage a good nights sleep after all the stress you have been through.

I always thought plants had a purpose, i.e.  for animals, birds etc to live off, but such a lot of garden plants are poisonous, you do wonder why they are grown.  I know non animal owners are not aware of the dangers of their garden plants, and probably do not expect greedy goats to come stealing their plants!!

The owner of the farm where my OH works, has planted laurals all the way round the orchard area.  He probably thinks they are attractive, and although they are fenced from the field, I worry constantly that my horses will break through and see the lovely green bushes, and sample them.  He is a none animal owner, and will not realise the danger in what he has planted.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 10:46:40 pm »
My neighbour is actually gutted. The sad thing is these trees she planted was on our land to screen her house. Neither of us had any idea how dangerous it was nor did we know the goats would "break in" through the fence. I went to tell her that these trees had poisoned my goats and originally she tried to allow her to put a much stronger fence so she could keep her trees but there was no way we could allow that. Nature is strange though.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:20 pm »
I can well imagine your neighbour is gutted.  I am sure like you said, she had no idea of the danger of the plants.  When you think about it, lots of people keep their goats in a garden, and their neighbours quite often have privet hedges, and rhodedendrums, which are poisonous.  So, knowing goats and their ability to escape, I would think these accidents with plants happen a lot.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 09:25:01 am »
Waiting on the vet again. Lottie my GG is not as good as she was yesterday, not eating again and frothing (just a wee bit) at the mouth. She is however drinking and it has to be good that we are now on day 4 from hell and she is still with us. All the others are brilliant, if only we cold see an improvement in Lottie we would all feel a lot better.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 04:11:42 pm »
Great to hear that the goats are improving James. lets hope that Lottie follows the good example of the others.
kirsty

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »
Glad to hear most are improved, everything is crossed for Lottie.
I showed my O/H the video with Freddy on, he is the spitting image of our little one. So he was very upset to hear of you troubles... I'll go tell him now that Freddy and friend are looking better!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS