Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting willow for logs pt 2  (Read 14205 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Planting willow for logs pt 2
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 12:16:52 am »
Hi Clodhopper, that's a very kind offer which I think we'd like to take you up on.

The RHS site is great for an 'amateur' like me so thanks very much for the tip - I'm going to spend some time tomorrow (BH Monday) preparing some of the ground here to see how many cuttings we could reasonably hope to get in. Can I let you know after that when we are able to get over to you?

Alex & Cath

I've sent you a PM.
Dave
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 09:30:45 pm »
We'd just like to say a huge thankyou to clodhopper for access to some great willow, some very good advice and some fantastic books as well!

Lovely guy (and gal!) who's time we gobbled up, as well as a good cuppa :)

Thanks Again
Alex n Cath

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 10:30:05 pm »
Have the cuttings noticeably taken yet ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

rob39

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 11:04:23 pm »
Did you plant any popular?? though many regard this as a poor firewood, and don't forget to season for at least a year if not longer as green willow can have a moisture content from 45%-60%

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »
My understanding is because of high moisture content willow needs 2 years storage before burning. so you need to build this into your plans.

rob39

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 01:41:20 pm »
Just finished coppicing some willows for a neighbour. Species was Goat Willow and believe they are a better wood fuel that the standard varieties. Moisture content again very high but I've split them so they will air dry fairly quickly. But would still leave them for at least a year. Currently burning some 14 month old goat willow logs. They catch quickly and give heat very quickly but burning times are low. Probably mix with some Ash or Oak to tease out the burning times. But overall not bad.
As for a viable crop they should be ok but not sure how quick Goat willow grows compared to other willow species. Guess with a decent amount of land, 3m spacing, crop after 1 year so to form more branches. Give them a 7 year cycle could have a decent working coppice. I would introduce some Ash, Hazel and Birch in to the rotation so to give a mix burn for the burner

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 12:13:19 am »
My understanding is because of high moisture content willow needs 2 years storage before burning. so you need to build this into your plans.

There wasn't much heat in the couple of tonnes of willow we used on the multi fuel burner .. same applied to the poplar. we were forever having to feed the stove with it. 
The resinous well dried ex Leylandi 
 caused a lot of tar but gave a lot more heat .

Hawthorn is also good but it spits hot embers every where so a good fire prevention practice & fire guard is essential .

Apple wood & power washed off root logs was the wood that gave us about the best out put but one evening there must have been a stone in a bit of root for when it got very very hot it exploded it & knocked out a couple of strips of the Pyrex type glass in the door

Somewhere on the internet I've seen is a list of woods  that gives their calorific outut & suitability for various types of heating / open fires.

rob39

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 11:46:49 am »
hi again

Hey cloddopper - the willow have indeed taken, I've got time tomorrow to have a proper look at them and think they may need some trimming. I want to have them for logs in 5 or 6 years, most of them have quite a few new growths this season like the one in the pic attached. I'm guessing the best way to go would be to cut all the new growth back, or should I cut them in the main stem closer to the ground?

Nuteski

smeeeeeee

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Wicklow, Ireland
  • Trying to do my bit........
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 05:46:18 pm »
Hi All,

I started growing Willow for Logs this year in Ireland and am documenting progress in a blog - willowforlogs.blogspot.com

I have the first few posts up if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Smeeeeeee!!!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 12:17:29 pm »
hi again

Hey cloddopper - the willow have indeed taken, I've got time tomorrow to have a proper look at them and think they may need some trimming. I want to have them for logs in 5 or 6 years, most of them have quite a few new growths this season like the one in the pic attached. I'm guessing the best way to go would be to cut all the new growth back, or should I cut them in the main stem closer to the ground?

Sorry for not replying earlier ,  I'm not using the site as much due to doing other thing.
 Sending a PM will trigger a notice in my email system , I look there most day's if I have the time &  inclination.

Hope I'm not too late ..... I'd only snip the outer 2 inches off those e branches ,  you want the wood to grow bushy put down a lot of roots to compensate for the damage done by losing it's tips & then thicken up .

If you chop it close to the ground right now there is not going to be enough leaf about to encourage the vigorous root growth . 

Give it six or so years before a proper coppicing  would be my suggestion to get maximum wood .
 That land where you got your cuttings from was a horse paddock free of any shrubbery or trees 10 years ago , those willows now have 12 inch or bigger trunk diameters .
 You could also actually scatter a bit of composted dungs & straw bedding in the tree root areas not much just a fork or two scattered in each tree footprint .  For trees also like a boost of useful nutrients too  & you'll  soon see the benefits they have had from it  . 

I saw a friends willow wood a few months ago . The cuttings are about four inches apart in  metre wide strip  rows .
He has currently got 15 rows each  nearly 200 mtrs long with tractor accessibility between the rows for mechanical harvesting . 
He wants to harvest  every other year when alternative rows are about 1.5 inches thick 6 " above the ground then chip them at the farm area up for his biomass burner. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:39:54 pm by cloddopper »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS