Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat feed suppliers  (Read 7412 times)

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
Goat feed suppliers
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:56:42 pm »
Hello, garden modifications are coming along to make a wonderful pygmy play and sleeping area. Thought I'd go ahead and buy in all the necessities ready for our pygmys who will be here in around 3-4 weeks.

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of any recommended places online to buy goat feed from. Amazon and animalfeedstore both do the 15kg pygmy mix by Allen and page but I was hoping to find a supplier who sells everything I need under one roof so to speak to keep delivery costs down.

If these places don't exist then please share where you buy your stuff from.

Also please advise me of anything extra I will need. The hay and straw will be sourced locally obviously but I'd also like to buy some treats and such. I've read a little about goat seaweed and garlic but haven't really found anything else other than the usual household fruit and veg. I'll be purchasing a few yellow Rockies aswell for around the yard and inside the pygmys house.

Again any help much appreciated
Thanks

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Goat feed suppliers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »
 where are you based?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »
Sounds like you have a lot of it covered, feeding fruit and veg as treats is good as most goats like that. As far as finding a feed supplier, Allen and page would give you local suppliers of their feed, I would have thought that  delivery would make buying on line expensive. Enjoy your goats  :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:47 pm »
Red rockies are the ones for goats, assuming pygmies are the same as dairy. The seaweed and garlic comes in powder form. You can get it from an animal feedstore who may also be able to access the food. Countrywide stores are good if you have one nearby. I've always bought stuff from horse suppliers -  goat food, sugar beet, garlic and seaweed. Sounds like those goats are going to be spoiled and loved to bits.

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:49:13 am »
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't wait and bought it online, well the Allen and page Pygmy mix and Rockies of both colours. Quite expensive delivery if ordering a lot £5 per 20kg so wouldn't be ordering in bulk!

How do you serve the powdered seaweed and garlic then?

Just wondering if you bought the Rockies metal holder or if you made your own?

I live in a little village about 15 mins from rotherham Barnsley Sheffield and Doncaster.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:58:02 am by MILLSII3 »

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 07:45:42 am »
Quite expensive delivery if ordering a lot £5 per 20kg so wouldn't be ordering in bulk!

lord flynn recently pointed me at http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/farm-supplies/farm-feeds/goat-feed/page-1.html for the most reasonable delivery charges  :wave:
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:51:13 am »
Ah the people's Republic of South Yorkshire :innocent:we are not g far away in North Lincolnshire. Would like to keep in touch as we are getting a couple of golden  Guernsey girls in the near future

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:30:10 am »
I put a teaspoon of each in with their food but you do need to do it slowly, maybe quarter teaspoon for a few days and then half, until they get used to it. I also add Caprivite.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:07:35 pm »
When we got our first Pygmies BH was very miffed that they didn't seem to like fruit and veg much. He tried them on horse treats and they definitely liked those, both the honey and the apple flavoured. Now they do like a bit of fruit and veg and will turn cartwheels for a bit of bread crust !  Once everything starts growing again, willowherb is a big hit as are wild raspberry canes, not keen on the fruit though. Careful with the raspberry if you have a pregnant one though although the seasons barely overlap.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 04:53:33 pm »
Both male no chance of pregnancy... I hope ;).

I've actually sourced a local horse store that has offered to order me in Allen and page pygmy mix whenever I need it as they don't stock it so that's a really appreciated gesture I will be taking them up on oh and it's cheaper then anywhere I've found online so a bonus too. They also stock the red and yellow Rockies in the smaller 2kg blocks. Pretty much everything I need and it's only 5-10 minutes away :).

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:33:19 pm »
Our local feed suppliers are usually pretty helpful at ordering in anything that we need if they don't normally stock it.
Just swapped to a different one and was pleased that they had some goat mix in stock. Will have to try and find out who the local goat keepers are!!

Good luck with the new goats.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:40:29 pm »
I was going to ask if you'd tried Allen & Page website for nearest stockists, you just put your postcode in.
I get my 'Caprivite' through a local equine supplies as they deal with the wholesaler I found online. saves postage and having to wait round house for delivery.
Agri-suppliers couldn't be bothered! (same wholesaler delivers to them as well).
I use the baby rockies (red) and put them in the bottom of the hay racks. The holder disintegrated, rusted away.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:49 pm »
I have a plastic holder for mine.

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:31:09 pm »
Just ordered two holders from eBay. £4.50 each, much cheaper than the genuine Rockies ones and I can't tell the difference between them from the photos.

Link for anyone interested:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161040743427

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 12:38:02 am »
I wonder if they changed to plastic because the metal rotted way?
Anyway this place is only about half hour from us, looks lots of nice things, might have an afternoon out and go look.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS