Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beauty consultant required for a couple of stunners!!  (Read 9449 times)

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
Beauty consultant required for a couple of stunners!!
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:39:40 pm »
Well that got your attention!!!

Anyone ever sheared any sheep or does anyone live near enough to us in France and able to come and do the deed and earn a shed load of cash?? (better just say that the shed belongs to Barbie & Ken ;D)

I am looking for advice as to best go about beautifying our girls as the weather is getting warmer and it is time to get them looking their best. 

Hope someone can assist.

Thanks

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Beauty consultant required for a couple of stunners!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:46:54 pm »
lol 10 outof 10 formarketting skills

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:07:07 pm »
Dan put a diary entry on once called "Cute hot young chicks" or similar - got loads of hits. I suspect some folk were awful disappointed at some video of our two week old Light Sussex cheeps!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29:17 pm »
A bit of a convoluted way around it.... but.... ask Kate or John for Lisa's phone number. I know she's having her sheep sheared at the end of the month. I know she's close to me and not far from Kate and John,but I don't know exactly. Lisa moves her sheep all over the area and she might be having them sheared near you,in which case you could get yours done by the same guy at the same time.....Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:08:22 pm »
I would have been glad to help but I know that FG lives a long way from us.

I do however have my Ouessants booked in for their beauty therapy on Friday, so if there is anyone local to the Avranches area (dept 50) who wants their sheep sheared,  I have the number for a really good French shearer.

Kate  :sheep: :pig:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:12:04 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:42:37 am »
Thanks guys & gals for your replies.

Hey Kate how far do you reckon you are from us?? I have just blown up the tyres on the rickshaw and the other half has been in training so if you are less than a day away I reckon we could be in with a chance!!

FG

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:10:28 am »
It is about 250 miles each way so get those tires pumped and those muscles flexed and see you in about 4 hours for a chilled bottle of rose (minus accent - english keyboard!) and I'll even bake a cake. Do you like pork? Just asking!!

Bring Mrs D with you though, I am sure I can find a nice bucket of something for the dear lady!

Kate  :pig:

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:02 pm »
Kate
out of interest, how much is yours charging this year, mine seems to have shot up and they are wanting the fleece which is a new one on me. Have used the same people for 4 years!!!!

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:27:24 pm »
Assuming it is the same as last year, they charged 3 euros per sheep plus the fleece.  That was for my neighbours sheep which are standard size.  The lady did indicate to me that Ouessant fleece was difficult so could be differently priced.  Will let you know on Friday after they are done.

Kate  :sheep:

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 02:44:20 pm »
Thanks a lot Kate, I need to get something sorted as it looks like my normal chap has retired.

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »
Shearer has cancelled due to the weather so will post when I have prices.  Hopefully next week.

Kate  :pig:

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 07:32:10 pm »
I was looking on ebay at some electric clippers,and one can get a decent set for less than a hundred quid,(I've been cutting my own hair for the last 20years,so how hard can it be?  ;D )  Just out of interest,does anyone know what a fleece goes for,average price?
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 07:26:45 am »
Did you get the clippers MrRee?? Must say I fancy getting a set and having a go.

Also the remark about the price for a fleece any one any ideas and also where would you sell them?? I understand that they need to be washed and rolled or something along those lines. Is this a fact or a myth??

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 11:22:27 pm »
Fleeces!
I do some shearing.....however I'm no good at it as it is much much more difficult than it looks! I get a pro!
How much are they worth.....well very little actually! The British wool marketing board will pay between 2p and about 60p per kg (average sheeps fleece weighs about 3kg)........only the best quality, well shorn and rolled fleeces from a sheep such as a blue faced leicester will command 60p per kg! :o :o :o

Last year some friends of mine with 600 Llanwenog sheep who have pretty good fleece made £60 from the wool board for the whole lot >:( >:(
It commonly costs more to shear the sheep than the fleece is worth!

Now this is not common knowledge and most folks are shocked and appaled at the prices paid ........I have a business processing wool and it makes me mad how undervalued it is!
If any one wants to send me well shorn clean good ouessant fleeces I am arranging a commercial spin! PM me for details. I will also be felting from the Autumn as we have a felting project being set up......again keep an eye on my blog and website for news about this.

I will stop now before I write a book.....wool is my pet topic ;D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 09:00:28 pm »
well keep us updates on this will you.
I all ways like to see things progressing and sticking it to them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS