Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed for a beginner?  (Read 4910 times)

Borderreiver

• Joined May 2008
  • Northumberland
    • Postal worm count service
Which breed for a beginner?
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:55 am »
I have never kept sheep but often have other folks to graze down our grass a bit. If I was to get a few of my own which do you think would be the easiest for a beginner?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Which breed for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:54:10 pm »
A nice easy breed like a Dorset Down, Ryeland or Southdown if you want a pedigree breed or some nice commercial crossbred ewes known as 'mules' who are also nice and easy.
Avoid anything with horns or tendancies to jump such as Jacobs and only get primitive types such as Shetlands and Soays if you have very good fences, a lot of patience and can run 100m in less than 10 seconds!

Believe me its much easier to learn on a breed of sheep that appreciates your company, is easy to catch and handle and is too lazy to think about escaping!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
We have three Ryelands - they are lovely sheep with no escapologist tendancies. They aren't too big and are dual purpose - although we haven't shorn or eaten any of ours yet!

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:17:09 pm »
I can recommend my breed too, we have Zwartbles, they are naturally quite tame breed and much more biddable than our xbred sheep that have a bit of Welsh in them! Zwartbles are quite striking to look at with their black fleeces and white markings and although the show sheep are on the large size, there are plenty that are a smaller size too. Some of them can be really tame and seem to like to be around people I think this may be due to their origins as a dual purpose dairy sheep, they also halter train quite easily and stay in their fields too!

It may be worth looking at all the breeds at the larger agriculture shows, you can usually ask people questions about their sheep and can decide which breeds you most like.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS