Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some lambing photos of the Charmoise sheep and others  (Read 9503 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Some lambing photos of the Charmoise sheep and others
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 08:56:09 am »
Great pictures,

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 09:41:00 am »
They do look interesting and I'd love to have a try with one - we'd need to see some being sold up here somewhere, though.  And bred in a TB4 or free region too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 09:57:37 am »
They do look interesting and I'd love to have a try with one - we'd need to see some being sold up here somewhere, though.  And bred in a TB4 or free region too.

Yes that is very true, there may not be any that far up north, they tend to mostly enjoy the welsh habitat, must be true love  :love:  :roflanim:

fortunately they sell wherever texel or beltex lambs sell as they just look like chunky white lambs when finished

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 11:50:35 am »
We sell the majority of ours deadweight, which has many benefits.  Not least that we get back the sheet showing us the weights and conformation of each lamb, so we can (and do, with a new tup or new breeding combination) relate the results back to the tup.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 06:21:26 pm »
We too sell deadweight, we find it much easier and even used to sell our culls deadweight due to being 20 mins away from turners

We have only recently sold live and have liked it, however the better conformation lambs such as charmoise would sell better deadweight as they kill out much heavier than they look in the live ring

We sold some stores and culls live last month and did very well, we are going to take a trailer load of culls/empties up to market in the next week or two to take advantage of the really good cull trade at the moment.

All our empty welsh mule ewe lambs (weighing 60 kgs) some empty charmoise ewes, some fat hoggets and a tup will be going, should do well with them, specially the larger charmoise ewes

We are 20 mins from turners and an hour from the live market though, so turners is always good for lamb that may not do as well when going live, so short and squat ones etc

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 06:51:55 pm »
Some more photos of some sheep taken this morning

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 09:00:11 pm »
Fantastic Great pics ,Thanks for spending the time to post

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:17 am »
Thankyou very much  :)

I would like to take credit but im afraid its all the camera and my new lense's doing  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS