Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some lambing photos of the Charmoise sheep and others  (Read 9533 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Some lambing photos of the Charmoise sheep and others
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:30:57 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

I thought I would share some photos of the ewes and lambs we have had so far, just incase some people would like to know more about (or are just interested in seeing) the lesser known terminal sire breed called the Charmoise

Have had 12 ewes lamb since saturday so still slow going but I think we are speeding up now as we had 4 lamb today, things mostly going ok with us only seeing two lamb and the rest just popping out when we blink, had a mule ewe lamb slip her lamb last week

Pedigree Charmoise ewe lamb, lambed for the first time this morning on her first birthday! very good mum so far and loving her lamb, very nice chunky ram lamb, by a home bred ram lamb

Lovely pedigree ewe lamb to a first time shearling, 20 mins old here with a full belly, mum lay down and pushed and I watched the lamb wriggle around with sack still on and find the udder before mum got up!

A Charmoise lamb out of a texel/mule ewe, this is one of triplets, they all weighed between 5-5.2 kilo! so one huge weight the ewe was carrying

8 week old Charmoise ewe lamb

Hour old lamb with her mum

The ewes are being kept in the polytunnel for 24 hours and then going out in the fields, only problem with that is I cant get very good photos of them outside..... oh well!

Hope you like them  :wave:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Some lambing photos of the Charmoise sheep and others
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:03 pm »
Loving the pics. The more the better! I'm still anxiously waiting for my first! and starting to feel like I am never going to see one!

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:59 pm »
Great pics! Those Charmoise are pretty little things. I'm still anxiously waiting for our first ones too.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:57:35 pm »
Super pics! Thank you
4 pet sheep

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:04:05 am »
Thanks everyone, its not usual for people to call the Charmoise pretty either  :eyelashes:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:08:38 am »
They are beautiful ! The lambs are well bonnie  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:50 am »
Grand lambs and mums!  Thanks for the lovely pics  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:17 am »
Thanks everyone, its not usual for people to call the Charmoise pretty either  :eyelashes:

Nah, not the bonniest but prettier than a Beltex  :stir:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 09:22:17 am »
Great photos. Interesting to see you use a poly tunnel.  We have just put one up -first lambs due next week :excited:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 09:26:11 am »

Haha yes at least they are prettier than a beltex, or even a texel for that matter  :-J
sort of like a mix between a charollais and a beltex I spose...

Had more lamb over night and this morning so now only got 40 to go  :)

Will take some more photos today

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:35:04 am »
Great photos. Interesting to see you use a poly tunnel.  We have just put one up -first lambs due next week :excited:

We would normally lamb outside, however we lost our lambing ground so it was either sell the sheep or find an alternative, we managed to get hold of this polytunnel which could take 60 ewes inside, so we picked 20 something ewes to sell and sold off some ewe lambs and then moved the rest into the polytunnel a week before lambing

Some of them are fairly wild being indoors for the first time in their lives but I have only been knocked over and trampled on once so far  :thumbsup:

They are staying inside for 24 hours ish and then being turfed out, they are much happier outside but we are very very happy with the polytunnel so far! soo much more labour than outdoors though  :-\

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:12 pm »

And handsome is as handsome does  :thumbsup:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 02:20:04 pm »
managed to catch a ewe lambing her second twin!

was beginning to think charmoise lambs just morphed out of the body somehow  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNiK9E3d7LU

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 09:55:32 pm »
sort of like a mix between a charollais and a beltex I spose...

This is Charlie2.  Dad was a Charollais, maternal Grandpa a Beltex.

In the second shot she has her Texel x lamb with her.

Her first lamb was Cap'n (Shetland x), who was so stylish and had such a lovely fleece I used him on my fleece sheep (and some of the commercial shearlings too) last year.

In another thread we are of the opinion that Cap'n was the George Clooney of the sheep world ;)

Final shot is Cat at 11 months.  She's Cap'n's daughter out of a Dutch Texel x.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 08:52:54 am »
Nice photos!  :thumbsup:

A small narrow head, fine bones and a chunky body  :thumbsup: looks very good, some good breeds in those mixes, do you get much variation within the lambs when using the crossbred tups?

One day you should have a look at a charmoise tup if you need a tup replacement (if one ever ventures up to where you are)

This is a lovely one owned by Tom (ME on the forum) taken off the charmoise sheep breeders page (I hope you dont mind Tom  ::) ) he is nicer than my ones, although it would help if I could get that close to mine  ::)

We are having some very lovely lambs out of both the charollais and the charmoise tups, there isnt much of a difference in the birth weights, the charmoise lambs are a little chunkier in shape, the charollais lambs are a little heavier boned, having a few too many triplets though....

I will get some photos of them in the fields in a bit

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS