Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field Shelter or stable on field? Do I need planning  (Read 10305 times)

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
Field Shelter or stable on field? Do I need planning
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm wanting to put some form of storage on our field for stuff like fencing, sheep feed, trailers etc and a place for the sheep to shelter when the weather is bad. Do I need planning permission? The field is roughly 2 acres and I've seen shed I can get hold of relatively cheap. Thanks

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Field Shelter or stable on field? Do I need planning
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:38:36 am »
Planning issues vary depending on where in the country you are. Are you in Scotland or England or Wales?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:50:49 pm »
As you are in England virtually any form of permanent structure will need planning permission. A field shelter on skids wont need planning permission but it really will need to be mobile.
If your 2 acres adjoin your house you may be able to erect a large garden shed..... depends where your garden ends and your land begins. The people we bought our smallholding from had to get planning permission to extend the curtilage of the garden to accommodate a small raised lawn they had made!
Is it time to retire yet?

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »
Put it up and then wait and see, any problems claim innocence and put in for retrospective permission.

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »
As you are in England virtually any form of permanent structure will need planning permission. A field shelter on skids wont need planning permission but it really will need to be mobile.
If your 2 acres adjoin your house you may be able to erect a large garden shed..... depends where your garden ends and your land begins. The people we bought our smallholding from had to get planning permission to extend the curtilage of the garden to accommodate a small raised lawn they had made!

That would be a change of use from agricultural to residential.
The extra land will increase the value of the property, so when they sold it should have been reassessed for council tax purposes. They have you every which way!

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:02 pm »
The land isn't adjoining but is within about 20m or so. For what the shed has cost me I think its worth putting it up and seeing if anyone says anything, I'll put some skids on it if needs be. Thanks

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
I phoned our council to ask this question and was told that any shed/shelter needed permission even one on skids/moveable. I was most annoyed but put one up anyway (12x24ft wooden stable) and there it stayed for four years and had no one oject at all. So I guess it varies on your local planning office, neighbours and general busy bodies! We were lucky,  but had also accepted that if someone complained we would either take it down or apply for permission.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:47:56 pm »
Put it on skids, if there's a complaint move it to the other side of the field. Then invite the council for another look.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS