Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charities for Smallholders  (Read 7382 times)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: Charities for Smallholders
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:19 pm »
Well said Womble. I think it all shows how complicated the whole subject is. There is no one right answer that will work everywhere. And it's not as simple as just giving money. We have to do the research and find the projects that are doing the right things in the right places. Oh and can I put a good word in for Lend with Care.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 11:22:18 pm »
I absolutely agree Womble - whatever are we to do to help this situation?  You could say it all boils down to education, but even that has to be teaching knowledge that is appropriate to each community, rather than to a totally different culture, climate and financial setting.

I am a firm believer in education, starting with getting as many children as possible into school.  When you think how many young people here spend their time trying to bunk off school, whereas children in the very poorest societies are absolutely desperate to get an education, it is frustrating in the extreme.  But if children the world over become better educated then they will be the ones who grow up understanding the problems of their own country, and being able to carry out research and suggest solutions which may actually work.

Being cynical, a lot of the poverty and need in certain countries is caused by corrupt officials and endless wars.  How do you deal with that?  I haven't a clue, but I hope someone does.

While we wait for all this to come to fruition, yes, we have to do something to help.  This is one world, and we're all a part of it.  However, my word of caution was not to say 'don't help', but more 'think carefully just how you give that help, and that you don't do as much harm as good'.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »
Following this treads recent direction ....... I'm going to point you back to my earlier post .... I need to start this seasons push to raise some more for the warehouse completion ........... any money donated to this will all go to the project (less money exchange deduction unfortunately)  and will directly help children attend school and health clinics .......... if you want to know more please contact me.
Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 08:39:55 am »
As I see it nothing else matters until there is clean water! The children still have to go to the well for it, but for goodness sake, they are children! They play! They may have a little more time to do that or perhaps get some schooling.

Not enough work for them if we subsidise wells??? Well woop de doo!!!

That's where my money goes - other than cancer research which is a worldwide problem whatever the colour, creed, nationality.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:25 am »
It sounds as if it's when there is just one thing done that it unbalances things.  The triad of clean water, hygienic toilets and schooling go hand in hand.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS