Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Top tips for a happy lambing period  (Read 13619 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Top tips for a happy lambing period
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »
LADIES PLEASE! I'm all for keeping people in the loop but must we be  brought up to speed about the details of your pyjama and undergarment arrangements?  ::)  Thank goodness you don't lamb in the height of summer, you would probably be shepherding in a babydoll nightie and fluffy slippers. ;D 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2015, 06:14:59 pm »
^ I've decided to do that anyway.  What the hell!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2015, 06:33:11 pm »
Well I hadn't anticipated that my choice of underwear would prove more controversial than over or under-interferring in lambing!
I suspect I over-interfer (a trait I'm trying hard to combat) but have never had a bad outcome when I have had to intervene. I'm a belt and braces (and an extra pair of knickers) kind of gal!  :innocent:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 07:15:29 pm »
HA ha! :excited:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »
If you want a happy lambing buy a Charmoise tup!  :D sorry everyone - had to say it!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:54 pm »
 :roflanim: I hate to say I do go out and check in my pj's, sometimes I will put waterproofs over to save scaring the goats!

I can't remember if it was on the list but putting vet (emergency line) on speed dial is a must. When I tried to phone I only had daytime number and vet who's on maternity leave. A slight sense of panic overcame me at that point!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »

I can't remember if it was on the list but putting vet (emergency line) on speed dial is a must.

Definitely!!!

Might be a little shocked if the vet turned up in her PJ's though!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 06:11:20 am »
Good tip about the vets number. I have mine in my phone. Unfortunately I get so punch drunk with fatigue that I forget to take it with me and it sits on the the kitchen workshop with the 4 hourly alarm going off every 10 mins.

So, can I add.....AND TAKE IT WITH YOU!

As I was lubing up a rather enormous, partly protruding lambs head on Saturday afternoon (while avoiding its blue lolling tongue) I thought of a couple of other useful supplies.

A big roll of that blue paper that you can get from auto jumbles and cleaning product purveyors. Its strong and absorbent but dosent break up and stick to wet things. Also I put a pump of that sterilising hand gel in the lambing box this time which has been handy. Its great when you need to act quickly and dont have the time to boil a kettle and wash your hands. You can scrub your nails with it two.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS