Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Top tips for a happy lambing period  (Read 13642 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: Top tips for a happy lambing period
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »
All the "professional" shepherds I know, lambing 800 minimum ewes, have always told me and shown me to leave the ewes to lamb on their own.  Only step in when the life of lamb or ewe is in danger.  I know I am only a smallholder, with around 15 ewes, but mine all lamb outside, unaided, apart from this year where I used a Hampshire Tup and have struggled with massive lambs, which have been stuck with legs back etc or just a head out.  Have left the ewes to struggle on their own but have had to step in.  I usually go out in the morning to find newborn lambs waiting for me in the field. 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 05:14:21 pm »
We put ours in the paddock next to the house and then just shine a lamping torch out the bedroom window periodically during the night to check. Very few nighttime lambs but they always seem to wait for the bad weather. :furious:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 06:37:01 pm »
All the "professional" shepherds I know, lambing 800 minimum ewes, have always told me and shown me to leave the ewes to lamb on their own.  Only step in when the life of lamb or ewe is in danger.  I know I am only a smallholder, with around 15 ewes, but mine all lamb outside, unaided, apart from this year where I used a Hampshire Tup and have struggled with massive lambs, which have been stuck with legs back etc or just a head out.  Have left the ewes to struggle on their own but have had to step in.  I usually go out in the morning to find newborn lambs waiting for me in the field.
And that's exactly how it should be. Leave the ewes alone whether lambing inside or outside, unless you feel it is necessary to assist. Head only out or large lamb with one leg back needs a little assistance for a good outcome.  No need at all to assist in a normal presentation or to go diving in for second lambs. Patience and not panicking is key. There is certainly nothing wrong with helping out a ewe and although everyone likes to see lambs born and up and sucking when they go out to check on their ewes, it can't be expected 100% of the time. Gimmers especially deserve some extra tlc. 

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »
And that's exactly how it should be. Leave the ewes alone whether lambing inside or outside, unless you feel it is necessary to assist. Head only out or large lamb with one leg back needs a little assistance for a good outcome.  No need at all to assist in a normal presentation or to go diving in for second lambs. Patience and not panicking is key. There is certainly nothing wrong with helping out a ewe and although everyone likes to see lambs born and up and sucking when they go out to check on their ewes, it can't be expected 100% of the time. Gimmers especially deserve some extra tlc.

Thank you!!  See, that's 2 of us who don't jump in and cause all the lambing problems Tim!!!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 07:17:03 pm »
That's good-----too many around with itchy hands though  :)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 07:31:12 pm »
Oh well !  I think whats  paramount is the well being of the ewe and her off spring.
We each deal with that in our own way.  :sheep: Happy lambing  :thumbsup:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 07:34:59 pm »
Good advice, HOWEVER, I had a ewe lying on her own for days, up and down, wandering aimlessly, but still eating. No sign of any classic labour indicators. Today, after watching her while I worked, I had another peek under her tail. Her bum has been hanging for days and I thought she'd lamb weeks ago.

Got a friend to hold her cos I wasn't happy and inside it was worse than trying to do a Rubik's cube! I had about 5 legs, an upside down head and eventually found a second head. After a lot of sighing from me as I couldn't get a matching pair of legs and nothing was budging, I phoned a friend (2nd friend as first was holding the ewe!). By the time he got there I had managed to find a little head and one leg and pulled out the tiniest ewe lamb. Next came a hefty ram lamb with both legs and head then finally managed to get the one coming backwards out. Thank god it was a black Welsh ram on a suffolk mule. Anything bigger and they wouldn't have made it.

So, whilst I agree with the advice, you need to know your ewes and go with your gut if you think something is wrong. If I'd left this one might not have had any survivors. Littlest one is enjoying some goats milk as not strong enough yet to fight for the teat.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 11:59:39 pm »
Exactly scotsgirl! Im no expert but anyone with any experience will never say " i always ...."
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 07:02:32 am »
Scotsgirl, sounds like a tricky one  :o Well done for getting it sorted and intervening when you knew it was needed. Like you say, it's very useful to know your ewes well and keep a close check on them  :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 07:32:14 am »
Moving this thread back to it's original theme of top tips, I have thought of another.

Dont be fooled into thinking think that just because Rosemary checks her sheep in her Jammies and waterproofs, that you will take advantage of a mild and sunny morning and attempt to let the sheep out wearing a fluffy grey and white zebra stripe onsie complete with hood and pompoms and a pair of pink plastic clogs.

It startles, the hens, worries the sheep and unsettles your farming neighbours.

In other words.......don't take all comments on this site too seriously! :-J

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »

Dont be fooled into thinking think that just because Rosemary checks her sheep in her Jammies and waterproofs, that you will take advantage of a mild and sunny morning and attempt to let the sheep out wearing a fluffy grey and white zebra stripe onsie complete with hood and pompoms and a pair of pink plastic clogs.

In principle I still don't see a problem, however, if you are going to collect the escapee cade from the drive in your jammies make sure they don't have a rip in the bum where you caught them on a nail. It means you have to spend a lot longer than you wanted to talking to the people walking their dog down the road as you can't head back up the drive without them seeing your knickers!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »

Who wears knickers under jammies?
In principle I still don't see a problem, however, if you are going to collect the escapee cade from the drive in your jammies make sure they don't have a rip in the bum where you caught them on a nail. It means you have to spend a lot longer than you wanted to talking to the people walking their dog down the road as you can't head back up the drive without them seeing your knickers!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 01:11:33 pm »
People with big holes in their jammies!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 01:29:12 pm »
I don't wear knickers under my jammies   8)!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »
I don't wear knickers under my jammies   8)!

I don't wear jammies!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS