Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Top tips for a happy lambing period  (Read 13661 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Top tips for a happy lambing period
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:35 am »
FiB the night time lambing is an interesting observation. I have often pondered the events preceding lambing at night and wondered if there is a connection.

A member of our breed society compiled some stats for his own flock and afternoon lambing was the most common I think. Indoor lambing, artificial light etc could certainly have a bearing but I haven't had enough ewes lamb in the wee small hours to establish a pattern. The only consistent factor for my ewes is that they were all first timers so perhaps they started in the evening and just had a long labour? :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 02:34:57 pm »
I've never checked outdoor lambers after dark, as the worst thing would be to disturb a ewe that's lambed one and started another, and have her not get back to her firstborn.

It seems to us that they lamb outdoors at dusk and at dawn or nearly, and not usually in between overnight, though they do sometimes lamb in full daylight.  First check at early light usually finds any of the morning's early crop.

If we have one looks like lambing last thing, we may catch her and bring her in, just in case.  If a lamb born at dusk in March up here doesn't suck, it'll be dead by morning. 

It's different if they're indoors.  We've put them in an unnatural situation, a more risky situation, so we owe them the extra care.  More risky because of the possibility of infection - we iodine all navels indoors and not at all outside, for instance.  More risky as indoors often means in closer quarters with other sheep, so increased risk of muddles, stealing, one sheep attacking another ewe's lambs, etc. 

But yes we all need to recognise that an absolute top priority is a shepherd who's had enough sleep to think straight and has the energy to be able to look after his/her charges.  So sometimes a calculated risk must be taken for the greater good.

If I had 20 ewes, tupped as one group over 17 days, indoors with plenty of room, then unless it looked as though anyone was likely to lamb in the night, I would probably leave them till first light.  Even if one does lamb, it's likely to be just one, so hopefully no muddles.

However, if I had 20 indoors that I'd AI'd, so they're likely to lamb in a tight batch, then I'd be checking every couple of hours so as to get lambers off to a pen with their lambs before anyone tries to pinch 'em.

(And, sorry to disappoint, but I have had 5 lambs born to 2 ewes indoors at 2am, and a right royal muddle with the two mothers and one who hadn't started yet but claimed one of the new lambs...  ::))

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:43:49 pm »
I do think that if they are indoors with the light on there is more chance of them lambing at night, so last year I made sure lights were turned off and had no night time lambs (I think I lambed about 25 ewes last year).  So those that use webcams I'm presuming that you need the lights on, so I wonder if that makes more work through night time lambers than it saves?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »
I bet you're right that overnight lights do make a difference - but I have to say, our overnight lambings occurred when no lights were on ;).  Mind, we had a batch of 50 lambing indoors, probably about 30 of them still to go at the time, so on average you would expect 2-3 to lamb in any 24 hour period.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:24 pm »
All interesting stuff folks and part of the magical mystery that is sheep!

No lights on. I have a night view camera!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 06:29:04 pm »
My 2am and 3am girls both lambed with lights off too! I think my horse is the problem, as he is stabled in the same barn and when I go along to check on the sheep, he gets a carrot. I therefore think he has told the sheep to lamb at all times, just so he gets extra treats.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 07:18:00 pm »
Best tip of all.......

have time to sit and watch your lambs playing in the evening sun.  14 lambs, from 3 days old to 2 weeks old, all flying around the field together like they are in the grand national, taking it in turns to jump on and off the oak butts in the field.  Total time wasters, but makes it all worth while.  So wish I had a video camera, they are such a joy to watch!!!  Now I know why I do this!!!  (and because they taste nice  :roflanim:)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 08:16:33 pm »
We lamb indoors - only 15 this year, 12 last year. I don't leave the lights on at night just check them with a torch at 10pm, 2am and 6am. Last year, 11 lambed at lunchtime and one at teatime. I'vethougt about droppig the 2am check but I'm too feart that I'd be tempting fate.

TBH after the first few days, I can get up, dressed (well, jammies into waterproof trousers and wellies), check the sheep, undress and get back into bed without waking up  :)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 09:20:04 am »
 :roflanim: Thats a professional  shepherdess  !

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 09:40:24 am »
I haven't lambed this year but last year we lambed indoors. I stayed up until 2am watching TV and did a check before I went to bed then, depending on what I had to report, OH would get up at 4 or 6am. Usually nothing happened until 6am but if I hadn't checked earlier I wouldn't have slept anyway.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 10:18:33 am »

Successful lambing starts months ahead---getting the ewes in the right condition and in good health ----culling the problem makers

Then when the time comes all you have to do is grab a flask of coffee & a pair of binoculars and watch from afar  :) 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 10:22:52 am »
That's a good job Tim. It's all I'm going to be able to do with half of mine!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:26 am »
That's a good job Tim. It's all I'm going to be able to do with half of mine!  ;D

I find that if I get out in the field before 8 am I am just wasting my time----if (rarely) there is a problem it only then becomes apparent
All the easy lambers have lambed and are suckling by then ---any still faffing around warrant a prolonged look (still through binoculars so as not to disturb them)-----actually catching and aiding birth is a last resort

More problems are caused by interfering shepherds than any other reason -----many shepherds seem to have an almost uncontrollable desire to box get involved, lambing is something sheep do not shepherds---

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »

I find that if I get out in the field before 8 am I am just wasting my time----if (rarely) there is a problem it only then becomes apparent
All the easy lambers have lambed and are suckling by then ---any still faffing around warrant a prolonged look (still through binoculars so as not to disturb them)-----actually catching and aiding birth is a last resort

More problems are caused by interfering shepherds than any other reason -----many shepherds seem to have an almost uncontrollable desire to box get involved, lambing is something sheep do not shepherds---

Hmm, cant say I agree with your "most problems are caused by interfering shepherds than any other reason"  and I don't think all my shepherd friends would be too impressed with that sweeping statement!!!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 04:54:58 pm »

Hmm, cant say I agree with your "most problems are caused by interfering shepherds than any other reason"  and I don't think all my shepherd friends would be too impressed with that sweeping statement!!!

I am sure there will be plenty of shepherds who won't be too impressed but that doesn't change the fact  ;)

The amount of 'professional ' shepherds I see that feel they have to assist any lamb that isn't born within 5 mins of them seeing a ewe in labour always amazes me  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS