Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Countryfile" betrays the countryside  (Read 18887 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: "Countryfile" betrays the countryside
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »
Now, now, Rosemary. 
That is an article in the Daily Mail and therefore it must be totally factually correct and cannot contain any bias itself.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:14 pm »
Now, now, Rosemary. 
That is an article in the Daily Mail and therefore it must be totally factually correct and cannot contain any bias itself.

Well, I LOVE the Daily Fail (this is a lie btw). I don't watch "Countryfile", so can't comment. But I guess others might  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:45:23 am by Rosemary »

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:09:06 pm »
In general I don't agree with the Daily Mail, or anything written in it.

But this article hits the nail firmly on the head in my opinion!

Can't stand Country File, it's so biased it's unbelievable and gives a totally skewed vision of the country side.

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:59 pm »
 :wave: i like adam hensons bit its the only part i watch i think he puts his point across in plain english . and u have to take your hat of to anyone who can make money out of rare breeds  :-J . i enjoyed john cravens news round as a kid . its funny how your view of someone can change . he is so anti farming its almost funny .

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:44 pm »
Greenie wellie wearers and vegi beef eaters just love the Countryfile programme as it's as full of crap as their wellies & food , few will ever know little difference.

The BBC are just after ratings so they can claim justification for their licence fee .  It's a lazy production that ignores most of the real country side life , yet glamorizes the fluffy chick and young lamb or calves & fund raises for children in need for six months or more a year .

It's a real townies myopic feel good factor view of country life & bears no resemblance or true likeness to the actual one.

One of the female " Hot star presenters " of god only knows how many kiss a cod , feel a frog or find a furry friend type programmes etc etc. made enough money out the licence payer to buy a fair sized farm .   She then put a manager in to run it whilst she & her man are gallivanting all over the world on behalf of the BBC.  All very tax efficient for both of them no doubt , with a massive farm house set in the open countryside ,  but she's not farming or small holding to my mind no matter what the programme indicates .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:35:16 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:16 pm »
Cloddoper - If it's the particular star you are thinking of. . . . . even better she bought an ex council farm, which is quite ironic, seeing as how she claimed that she wanted to help the 'locals' (in this farming community) get into farming. And yes, you are right 'her' farm, is run entirely by a lovely couple, who are from local farming stock, and all of the wonderful projects she has achieved, the geo-dome green house, the edible garden etc, were all planned, designed and implemented by other local professionals. . . . . .

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:42:09 am »
..... love it or hate it ............   and I certainly have plenty to say about Adam and his farming (biggest sprayer in UK on his 'smallholding'!)  and the blond bimbo's ............ most of us are still watching it enough to comment!!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:42:49 am »
So it's a s**t programe, I wonder how many people have been inspired by it and went on to keep rare breeds etc. So much negativity.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:02:12 am »
So it portrays the countryside as people want to see it? So what?

If it was all "Now we go over to Adam who's standing in a freezing bog in Wales, with a hypothermic ewe and her stillborn lambs", nobody's going to watch it, are they?

I await the Daily Mail's next article pointing out that Glasgow isn't nearly as grim or dangerous as Taggart would have us believe, or that not everybody in Essex has fake tans and hair extensions!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:05 am »
It's really been dumbed down over the last few years-last week it was seemingly all about art and poetry, neither of which I have much time for and I can't stand that chirpy little presenter, she should be on Blue Peter or something.
Other than Landward though, its about all there is. I like the rare breed stuff and the Exmoors when they are on. I doubt that they are going to report on sea eagles chasing lambs into bogs any time soon though.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:45:39 am »
...and the blond bimbo's ............

Why is it that people assume someone's hair colour (natural or not) has got anything to do with their intellect! You are just perpetuating long-outdated stereo types!

I may not like the actual programme or even what some of the ex-presenters continue to do after their "fame", but please stop calling blond women (and it always is women isn't it???) bimbos! And they do have business sense if they can make money of a small farm!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:11 am »
I too watch the Adam Henson bit and the weather forecast, unless there's a breed or place mentioned that I have an interest in.  A friend was once interviewed on a piggy subject and spent hours being filmed on what turned out to be five sentences and a wry smile! 

The guests who stay in our farm holiday cottage are always so surprised to hear we're on duty 24/7/52, that bovine TB is widespread in deer and alpacas, that we wear more mud than a wallowing pig in the winter.....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:55:29 am »
not everybody in Essex has fake tans and hair extensions!

They don't?! !! ??
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 11:01:56 am »
I think for the target audience, which is mainly people have not real interest in how farms actually work they have pitched it right. The big but is that it does not stress that the countryside as we see it today is mainly manmade and takes men, women, machines and money to maintain it, and some of that is smelly, inconvenient and may upset the fluffy bunny brigade.
  Farming is a huge industry, you only have to go to one of the big farm events to see the money involved, but the industry is really rubbish at promoting its self to the general public. There are so many naturally funny farm wits about  that a day time programme covering aspects of real farming with farmers who are not presenters being filmed would be doing their daily jobs would be far more informative like Countyside 999, but with mud , s**t, and wry humour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS