Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep worrying  (Read 12723 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep worrying
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:14 am »
We are within our rights to shoot a dog which is worrying our sheep.  And worrying can mean just running about off lead, even if it's not actually chasing the sheep.

However, firstly, many of us won't be a good enough shot to do this effectively.

And secondly, most of the farmers and sheepkeepers I know, however angry they are at damage to their sheep, also love dogs.  Many couldn't shoot a dog, and many would suffer at least as much stress from having had to shoot a dog as they would from damage to the sheep.

It's something that never seems to get mentioned.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:06 pm »
Interesting point Sally
I've often wished I'd shot a certain dog in particular, I've never thought how I would feel after.
Not happy I suspect

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:21 pm »
Then one gets a muppet like this;
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/47827944 quoting from a book written in 1885, and in his own 'extensive' experience(?), comes to the conclusion; "The biggest killers of lambs and sheep, are actually farm dogs."?????
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:01 am »
It’s a topic I’ve pondered, just in case it ever happens.  Being a dog lover with four dogs it wasn’t easy to come to the decision that if needed to, I would shoot a dog attacking my flock.  Yes I’d have recriminations, but I don’t think they would be more than knowing my lack of action had allowed further attack/killings which is the OP scenario.  I wouldn’t risk charging around a field with a rifle but would use a shotgun at suitable range.  A miss would hopefully scare it off permanently, hit would solve the problem.  I would suggest that if more farmers shot rogue dogs there would be a greater respect of the countryside by dog owners and certainly dog worrying wouldn’t be as prolific.
It’s a problem that only the individual can address, but the law is on your side.   Obtaining a fire arm requires you to be responsible, proficient and have a reason for applying for one, so it’s hardly going to be a gung ho attitude.  Substituting the word fox for dog puts it in perspective for me.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »
Regardless of the 'ethics', I'm not sure about using a shot gun to kill a dog (or a fox)? Surely it would have to be a rifle?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 07:08:37 pm »
No reason it has to be a rifle whatsoever. It is perfectly possible (and easier in some respects) to humanely kill anything from a ferret to a bull with a 12 bore. Distance from the target is the most important thing and secondarily shot size chosen.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »
Sheep

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:23 pm »
Yes it's a shame really, it's the owners that need shooting..not the dogs.

My good old dad used to have a saying...and he had good experience..worked on a farm from 9-25 years old then was a policeman for the next 25 years. 

No such thing as a bad dog...just bad owners.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS