Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep worrying  (Read 12748 times)

battyfarmer

• Joined Mar 2014
Sheep worrying
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:17:20 pm »
My neighbour's dogs have in the past killed several of our lambs. The neighbour admitted responsibility and offered to pay compensation and said he would get one of the dogs re-homed. However he has kept the dog and it has now killed several of another local farmer's sheep  ( he again admitted responsibility and paid them compensation). The dogs are allowed to roam on their own. We are worried about putting ewes and lambs out now which seems ridiculous that we can't use our own fields and are having to take the sheep some way away. Can we force him to get rid of the dog?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sheep worrying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:38:31 pm »
Have the police been involved at any stage?  I would be inclined to consider joining forces with the other farmer and going in to your nearest Police Station personally, rather than contacting by telephone.  I wonder if an injunction to force them to keep the dog under control would be appropriate in these circumstances? 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 06:58:32 pm »
Oh, gosh, that's an awful situation to be in.  :hug:

I really hope your local Police can offer some help.  If not, are you a member of NFU?  They may be able to offer some advice.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:27:40 pm »
Get a gun !!!! Tell the neighbour you will use it if you see the dog on your land !!   :rant:
That's disgusting and I would go straight to the police, something must be done, compensation doesn't cover the distress those poor animals had to endure before they died  :rant:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:34:08 pm »
Get a gun !!!! Tell the neighbour you will use it if you see the dog on your land !!   :rant:
That's disgusting and I would go straight to the police, something must be done, compensation doesn't cover the distress those poor animals had to endure before they died  :rant:

Gun Hole Spade Alibi

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:49 pm »
As others have suggested, go to the police.
The law has recenetly changed and having an out of control dog anywhere is an offence.
 This is from the government website: https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

1. Overview

It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, eg:

in a public place
    in a private place (eg a neighbour’s house or garden)
    in the owner’s home

The law applies to all dogs.

Some types of dogs are banned.
Out of control

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
    makes someone worried that it might injure them

A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

it injures someone’s animal
    the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it’s worrying their livestock.
Penalties

You can be fined up to £20,000 or sent to prison for up to 6 months (or both) if your dog is dangerously out of control. You may not be allowed to own a dog in the future and your dog may be destroyed.

If you let your dog injure someone you can be sent to prison for up to 5 years or fined (or both). If you deliberately use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with ‘malicious wounding’.

If you allow your dog to kill someone you can be sent to prison for up to 14 years or get an unlimited fine (or both).

If you allow your dog to injure a guide dog you can be sent to prison for up to 3 years or fined (or both).

A neighbour of ours had a simialr problem. They informed the police who had 'a word' with the dogs owner. It seems that the risk of prosecution/fine/prison has encouraged them to be a more responsible owner. I hope it works for you too.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:38 pm »
As others have suggested, go to the police.
The law has recenetly changed and having an out of control dog anywhere is an offence.
 This is from the government website: https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

makes someone worried that it might injure them

This go's to show this law is wrong.
Sheep

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 10:59:34 pm »
By taking compensation you are getting him off the hook.

Go to the police first, report it, and then demand compensation AND the dog destroyed.

Failing that take ME's advice.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:19:15 am »
You should go to the police.

Buying a gun and shooting a dog? We might all feel angry enough to do that but in reality could end up in more trouble than the dog owner.

battyfarmer

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:26 am »
Just to clear things up, we didn't accept the compensation he offered - we told him we wanted the dog gone and he promised to get it rehomed, which he didn't do. I think the police is the best course of action.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 09:50:32 am »
I hope you get a good outcome and peace of mind.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:58 am »
Our local farmers put up notices ‘ Dogs found chasing or worry livestock will be shot’.  Something similar may help you in persuading your neighbour to act responsibly otherwise another vote for ‘Me’.  Round here the dog is shot and photo’s of both the dog and injured sheep are in the local paper.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 12:04:36 pm »
No problem at all with destroying dogs that worry sheep. Also better done the first time it happens rather than allowing a dog to become a serial offender.

However, should be done by someone who is a competent shot and who understands the law around shooting a dog who is worrying your flock.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:18 pm »
I think the shot is best taken by the owner of the sheep, where possible the fewer people dragged into the awful situation the better.

In this scenario the welfare of multiple sheep (and pregnancies) is suffering in the present tense and the dog must be stopped asap. IMO this outweighs the potential for the dog to suffer in the future if certain unwanted and unfortunate events occur due to imperfect marksmanship (eg. the first shot only wounds and a second is required a moment later).

The main thing is stopping the dog and not injuring anyone by being tempted into taking an unsafe shot.     

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »
Yes, the dog must be stopped. The person taking the shot has to be able to weigh up the whole situation, take a shot and possibly a second SAFELY and all within the law. I don't see how suggesting someone buys a gun and keeps it just for the purpose of shooting a dog or dogs worrying their sheep is responsible unless they are competent person at keeping, handling and using one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS