Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wellies!  (Read 3259 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Wellies!
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:23:23 pm »
Can anyone recommended a pair of decent wellies please?

I've been through 3 pairs this winter, they weren't overly expensive and I'm starting to think I might have to invest in some better quality ones to last out the year,
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Wellies!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:39:11 pm »
Father Christmas brings me a pair of Hunters every year. I don't know how pricey they are but they last from one year to the next even with pigs trying to chew them.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:37 pm »
Ariat are fantastic. They have properly supportive soles
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 04:43:27 pm »
This has been discussed many times over.  Search for Purfort or Chameau to pick up some of the other threads ;)

Big Dunlop Purfort fan here; light as a feather, great grip, last really well even with cattle wee on 'em, you can get "ladies' fit" if you have slenderer calves and feet than I do.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:05:12 pm »
If purofort are a bit expensive, Dunlop Actifort and a decent pair of socks seem to last forever (and are light, cheap and warm).

About £18

The sizes are huge though, normally a nine and an eight is perfect.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:05:19 pm »
Having never spent much more than £50 on a pair of wellies last week I bought a pair of the new Aigle  neoprene lined winter boots vv pricey at £148 but they are so damn comfy but the best bit is the 3 year gurentee .worth a shot if you have the money ill never buy anything else again !

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:11:31 pm »
Dubberys are fab, if you add together the cost over the years of bust wellies buying a decent boot pays off, I've had mine close to 6yrs I have them on everyday, round the field, in the river, shopping! I just love them.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:21 pm »
Another vote for Dunlop Purofort here. This is the fourth winter for my current pair and still going strong. Never had cold feet in them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:30 am »
I've been at this farm 5 years now, and have replaced my Purforts once in that time.  The ones I replaced had had one or two years' wear prior to coming here.  I do have a very slight leak in the left one now.

Given that I am walking in cattle slurry most days (and I don't rinse them off every time I come in - tut tut), I think that's fantastic.

I would have cold feet if I didn't use either hand-knitted wellie socks or Bamas, but then I am at 530' in North Cumbria!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:28:13 pm »
Thanks all, I will have a look at those mentioned  ;D  I'm resorting to using plastic bags over my socks now to keep my feet dry so will have to get some new wellies pretty soon.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS