Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TAP Question  (Read 3071 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
TAP Question
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:35:16 pm »
rather random I know....

In Joan (Of Arc's) paddock I have a tap which is the blue pipe sticking up with a switch off bit at the end.  Sort of like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/mdpe-plastic-stop-cock-20mm/37602

What I want to do is take this pipe and split it in two at the pipe bit  so one half can be used on the allotment with a hose and one half in Joan's paddock.

So I need some sort of splitter and then whichever bit of kit is necessary to go down from the blue pipe to domestic size so I can stick a hosepipe at the end.

Does anyone have any idea.... given this absolutely clear description.... what bits it is I need?

Cheers :)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
Re: TAP Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:47:49 pm »
you just need a t piece after the tap you already have and then run a pipe to each place and use the reducers to fit the taps. all the bits are on the screwfix site. Just make sure you know which size pipe you already have.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:59:14 pm »
If I've understood you correctly KC, you need to install a tee-piece after the stopcock, then you can run one piece of pipe to Joan's Ark, and the other to your allotment.

There are various adapters available, depending on what you want to connect to. For the hose, I'd be tempted to run the pipe over to the allotment in blue plastic (as long as it's not too far), then drive a post in and attach a wall-plate elbow. That will then give you a british standard screwed thread to which you can easily fit a tap that your hose will then fit onto using a standard adapter.

Blue pipe is a relatively straightforward DIY job, but beware:

• It comes in 20mm and 25mm (look on the pipe, the size might be printed on it). Be sure to buy the right size.
  • It can be cut using a hacksaw, but this can be tricky. Better to invest in the proper tool, for safe clean cuts.
  • Each end that you connect into a fitting needs a strengthening insert.
  • Ensure you don't scratch the bit of the pipe that gets inserted into the fittings, or it can leak.
  • Leaks can also be caused by bending the blue pipe into the fittings, so it is under stress. It may be fine for a few months, but will soon start to drip. If you need to bend through a tight radius, it's better to cut the pipe and use a 90 degree elbow instead.
  • Screwed fittings should be covered in PTFE tape so that they seal properly.
If in doubt, I'd try to find a local handiman as though it's relatively straightforward, it could lead to much swearing if you've not done it before!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:54:28 am »
Would it be possible for anyone to LIST the actual parts i need.  I went to screwfix but couldn't find them.  I have a little man in at the weekend who owes me because I paid him for a weekend abortive work that was his fault so I want to work him like a dog (he is a grafter) and ask him to do this but I can't unless I have the parts and I don't want to waste his time having him go out for them...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-mdpe-equal-tee-25mm/17141

That is the only bit I can find....

Pretty please :bouquet:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:58:33 am by Kitchen Cottage »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:07 am »
Hi KC,

It's going to be difficult to advise any more without seeing the job, the distances involved, the sizes of the existing pipework etc. (Did the links in my post above work? They should give you most of the info.)

I think you've got two options:

1) Buy a whole pile of bits from Screwfix with everything you could possibly need, then return the bits you don't use.
2) Eyeball the job with your fella, screwfix catalogue or website in hand. Get him to list everything he needs and then set him to work on something else while you nip out to go and get them.

Basically much as we'd love to help, without seeing the job, anybody advising from afar is bound to miss something vital. Sorry!  :bouquet:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »
If your happy with the stopcock type tap at the end then all you need is a tee piece like the one you linked to.  then some pipe the same size that will get you to where you want the other tap and then a stopcock tap.  Are you planning on burying the pipe. If yes you will be better off getting 90 elbow as well so it comes out of the ground without bending the pipe to much.

If you can find out what size pipe you have I'll find you the correct parts on the screwfix site.

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »
sorry. I forgot you said you wanted to reduce it to a hose pipe. Thats not a problem but I need to know the size of pipe you have first.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »
if of mains water supply they only do 25mm
so if its of mains use 25mm to 15mm tee and use 15mm pipe
if you dont know buy extra tee 15mm tee
15mm is standard after stop tape

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS