Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: coccydia  (Read 1445 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
coccydia
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:42 pm »
We have (just three) Ouessants and for the first time I took a sample to the vet this morning to check the worm count and the vet's just called to give me the result.
She said there's no need to worm them at the moment but there was some coccydia in the sample (may not be spelt correctly).
She said to keep an eye on them, make sure they're not straining to 'go' and if there is a problem she'll give me medication to give them.
I'd really appreciate any information or advice about this as we're new to sheep keeping and I want to make sure I do the right thing for them.
thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: coccydia
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »
Coccidiosis is caused by infection from a protozoa which parasitises the gut lining.  It will cause weight loss, profuse diarrhoea and slow growth.  Usual treatment is with Vecoxan although there are others.  Lambs will have pciked it up from the older sheep, often in muddy areas around feed troughs.  Moving troughs regularly helps prevent it.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: coccydia
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »
There are 9 species of coccidia that live in sheep's guts, and only one that really causes disease. If the vet has said keep an eye on them then it may be there was a low count, and if they are not unwell they may well be infected with one of the harmless ones. Sounds like your vet is very helpful, keep getting the advice and faecal samples done and you'll keep wormers effective in your wee flock for some time to come.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS