Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Diseases  (Read 3340 times)

hollo321

• Joined Feb 2015
Sheep Diseases
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:17:32 pm »
Hi im thinking of starting to work on a sheep farm for first time, and read theres lots of sheep diseases that can spread to humans ex. Brucellosis, q-fever, ringworm...
so im a little spooked just want to know what you guys think is the chance of getting sick from one? I will be wearing gloves but working in the pen breathing in the air.. is risk very low?
these sheep are grown for meat and dont go out to pasture btw
any advice much appriciated
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:22:42 pm by hollo321 »

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Sheep Diseases
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:22:57 am »
The sheep live all their lives indoors? Is this in the UK?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:58 am »
One of the most important ones is Toxoplasmosis, best not to be around sheep when pregnant. Other than that risks are low. Never worn a mask and it hasn't done me any harm (twitch twitch)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 11:47:23 am »
Surely they go out in the summer?  Even if the lambs are being fattened for meat, the breeding stock must graze?  I thought the whole thing with sheep is that they are raised on grass, with minimal expensive hard feed, and are a very naturally produced meat.   Still, that's not your question.

Another zoonosis I suggest you guard against is Orf.  It's easy to catch from a scabby-faced sheep, and is very painful.  Never touch your face when handling sheep, and always wash your hands before as well as after going to the toilet - that's one area you really don't want to get orf  :o

If you are really concerned about breathing in the bugs, you could work in a mask, but they are minimally effective unless you have total breathing apparatus.  Also hard to work in as soon as you start to warm up.

Best just to take sensible normal hygiene precautions (baby wipes are indispensible   :thumbsup:)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:05 am »
You can catch a bad back and short temper pretty easily, especially around lambing ewes.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »
If sheep were that contagious there wouldn't be many shepherds left around would they....

But if you are working in a farm/outdoors environment you want to make sure your tetanus is up to date, the UK is Brucellosis-free, and if you are female you want your contraception to work properly  (toxoplasmosis risk at lambing time).

The only one to watch out for is orf, - it won't kill you but is quite painful. Mr Gooogle should have info on it.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:26 pm »
That's about it, though I do know a few people who a fussy about gloves and a mask when moving hay, especially indoors (skin irritation and Farmer's Lung).

Any other livestock around?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »
Hi im thinking of starting to work on a sheep farm for first time, and read theres lots of sheep diseases that can spread to humans ex. Brucellosis, q-fever, ringworm...
so im a little spooked just want to know what you guys think is the chance of getting sick from one? I will be wearing gloves but working in the pen breathing in the air.. is risk very low?
these sheep are grown for meat and dont go out to pasture btw
any advice much appriciated
Thanks

All animals (including humans) have diseases which spread to other species ..... normal hygiene policies of always washing hands after handling animals and before eating (OR smoking!) will prevent most things.

Don't forget you can spread disease between the sheep too!

In addition:   No pregnant female should be near sheep or handling any clothes or anything which has been near sheep.  Your supervisor should supply you with gloves if they are necessary as in the case of an Orf outbreak.

Where are you?   Sheep indoors? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 06:58:29 pm »
(OR smoking!)

But smoking is probably more of independent risk factor of disease than working with sheep! :D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:12 pm »
Have caught orf after handling someone else's sheep.  Toxoplasmosis is more likely to be a problem if there are cats on the farm.  Fresh air, loads of exercise and a rewarding job are likely to keep you healthier than someone in an indoors job, sheep or no sheep. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS