Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long to leave land to kill of parasites  (Read 2688 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
how long to leave land to kill of parasites
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:41:58 am »
How long should I leave land that has had sheep on it to allow the worm larvae to die off?

I seem to have 3 weeks in my head but I cannot find where that figure came from.

thanks
mab

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: how long to leave land to kill of parasites
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:01:52 am »
more like a year.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:14 am »
Hello Mab.Yes 3 weeks according to Godfrey I thought it was So I have just had a word .He looks after a 1500 mixed flock here in Lincolnshire. Treat the sheep and move them to a new pasture that has not had sheep on for at least 3 weeks before returning them or other sheep In the Google box type DEFRA Scops Halfway down the page is a document by SCOPS  :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:06:06 pm »
We always rest our field for a minimum of 6 weeks through the worst of the winter (December and January ish normally)

Beth

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: how long to leave land to kill off parasites
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:56:54 pm »
I'll be leaving it for more than 3 weeks anyway - more like 8 - but 3 weeks didn't sound like much, and I wasn't sure I'd remembered it right (thought it might have been months or something).

I'm glad your not all saying a year though - I don't have enough land to leave it that long.  :)

Thanks

mab

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »
Our vet said 3 weeks - this doesn't remove the worm burden but it does reduce it because the lifecycle of most is about 21 days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS