Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: visit from animal welfare  (Read 12634 times)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: visit from animal welfare
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:36 am »
Hello Dysie

It would be worthwhile to look into having an automatic drinker and/or a heavy cemented in trough that has
a ball cock on and is fed so that it is always full.

I do not know where you are, but here in Ireland you have to provide water for pigs 24 hours per day
seven days per week -  this rule was brought in last year because a lot of pigs knock over their water and then
especially in the summer ,spend the rest of the day without a drink.

If you could at least have a plan to do this, on paper, it will help you with the welfare people - they are there to advise
you, not to take your pigs off you, but to help you comply with their rules and regs.

Do not be put off - we have had them check us out too seven years ago, because of a jealous neighbour - do not worry,
see it as a positive step as once they are satisfied there is sod all anyone can do to remove your pigs from your field

Good Luck

Snoopy
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 05:51:29 am »
Dysie you could also mention to the welfare people that if there is any more unfounded complaints from the previous people that made the complaint that you will consider it harrassment and take 'appropriate' action.
With any luck that message will get passed back to the complainers and they will stop before you need to take legal action.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 08:00:38 am »
we kept getting visits from the sspca because someone did not like us having ponies. we have 4 males and fillies. the inspector never found anything wrong but each visit was stressful. i would be polite but don't feel bad as others have said they have to visit but it means nothing if your animals are healthy. in the end they will give up and start on someone else.

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:26 pm »
even though i have had the all clear from animal welfare and the case is closd,  ( i have this in writing )
I went ahead today and let the pigs go, for their own safety,
it took up the whole of the day as they kept escaping and we couldnt get a trailer close enough to the pen to get them into it,
but we ended up letting them go with a very nice chap who lives quite close and will look after them untill we can sell them on,
im going to visit them on weds/thurs this week so ill make sure they have settled in ok
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
thats sad, but ultimately your decision so hope you dodnt feel bullied into it by mindless fools...
As you say "life is what you make it" so chin up!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »
I would go further - this is absolutely outrageous!  You should ask your lawyer to send them a letter advising them that it is your right to have what animals you wish on your own land.  They have won this round. Don't let them win the war!!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 05:51:43 pm »
I'm with you doganjo !

Don't get mad or sad, get revenge!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
Revenge is good - dump some pig s**t in their garden some dark night! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:33 pm »
Revenge is good - dump some pig s**t in their garden some dark night! ;)

Every contact leaves a trace (forensics)!!

My wife wanted me to sell the pigs....... i've got one wife for sale!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:22 am »
My OH would like to echo those sentiments .... :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 11:37:20 am »
I WAS just joking! ::)  However, there was one occasion when we got revenge and it didn't backfire.  A neighbour used to let his dog poop on our path every night - 11pm every night we heard him whistling down the road and watched him.  We got sick of it so one night when he'd gone past, Sandy got a shovel and lifted it, dumped it on our neighbours doorstep then watched for him returning  ;D ;D  We enjoyed the reaction when he stood in it and saw him glower down at our door - so he knew perfectly well it was us.  He never let his dog do that again. ;)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:05 am »
A few years ago we had a couple who bought the cottage at the bottom of our farm road as a holiday home. He made our life hell all because we would not sell him land. He watched our every move, threatened to kill my cats. Cut down a yew tree and threw bits over into my field beside the horses. Lucky I saw him as I was picking up droppings in the paddocks. I hate to think what I would have come home to if I had been at work. Yew stops the heart in 5 Min's. he tried to tell me he had no idea but I found out that was a lie. the man who cut the tree down for him told him just how dangerous it was and to make sure he took every branch to the skip. He tried to claim rights to our farm road and started planting bushes so we had to prove it was indeed ours. Next he fell out with the local farmers about the mud on the road when they were lifting tatties, complained about muck spreading and kept on at us when were we going to tar our farm road as the dust in the summer made his windows dirty. It would cost £20,000 plus for us to do that so we never have. The whole area was delighted when they moved back to England. At first it did upset me but then I took no notice, once when I was riding past his house he decided to strim the grass verges next to his house. My horse got upset at being hit by flying stones and started jumping about. I just laughed for his face was picture.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:55 pm »
God, some people!  My family call those type of people the CocaCola crew - the people who move to the countryside and have no respect for the countryside (dropping Coke cans everywhere)!!

A cheap option that we use for our pigs is an old Belfast sink that we found - can't knock that over!  So sorry to hear that the pigs have gone.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 11:07:12 pm »
sorry you sold your pigs  :'( and sorry for the pressure you felt to need to.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:25 am »
it works the other way too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS