Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: visit from animal welfare  (Read 12635 times)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
visit from animal welfare
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
today I fed and watered my piggies at 7.30am as usual and they were fine, went back as usual at 4pm and they were gone, light fading fast I took off across the fields and called everyone I know local to help out, and then eventually I got a call from someone to let me know where they were,
I get them safely back to the pen in the field, and settled them down with tea, and only then did I notice that someone had left me a note
It was from the animal welfare officer and he has had a complaint that the pigs were not fed and watered,
I finally got to speak to him and explained that the pigs are very unsettled due to having been attacked by a dog at weekend and people keep letting their dogs run into the field and frightening them,
they are fed twice a day and water is provided but pigs dont save food for later and they nearly always knock their water over between them,
he was ok and we have set up a meeting at the field tomorrow, to go through all the details,
But it really annoys me that I now may have to get rid of them after spending a small fortune on housing and everything else,
anyone have any advice at all please help
or anyone want to buy them and provide a good home
thanks
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: visit from animal welfare
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »
They have to respond to calls about cruelty so don't get your back up about it just yet! Some of them can be very helpful.
Don't worry, one look at your pigs will show them they're well looked after!!

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:34:59 pm »
I know that but its the fact that someone has complained, hes seen the pigs today and he says they look really heathy, he seems verry nice, I work locally in animal care and also work at a vets always have so he knows of me,
the trouble is the field is notorious for the neighbours complaining,
why buy a house next to a field if you dont want to see animals in there,
were having a house built next to the field but the neighbours will do their damnedest to stop that if they can,
bunch of sour faced idiots if you ask me

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »
It's amazing the folk who want to live in the country but dont want to see or smell animals!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:51:58 pm »
That's awfull i cant understand why youshould have to get rid of your pigs,
seem's totally ufair to me if you have explained to the welfare officer about
their eating habits and knocking over the water as i know what you are talking about,once again
im shocked, i would'nt let them go without a fight(verbal!) ;) :pig:
Langdon ;)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:08:32 pm »
yes ive explained and he agrees with me, hes gonna check all my records tomorrow and ill update on here what happens,
BUT to be honest i dont even want to live near people like that, so all my plans, dreams, and hopes, have been shattered now,
My hubby and 2 sons and I will all have to sit down and have a talk about where we go from here, do we still have the house built or look elsewhere,

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:22:03 pm »
sorry you are having trouble with your pigs.  Try not to worry - the welfare man I am sure will find nothing wrong with the way your pigs are kept.  Its not right that you are having to change your plans because of neighbours - I would ignore them, build your house, and carry on with your pigs.

Hope all goes well tomorrow for you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:08:39 am »
I'd let it be known that "the field is up for sale because Wimpey are keen to put in social housing here ...  "

(nothing against social housing, except that if I had bought a house overlooking a field with a couple of pigs in it, then it was rumoured that it would be covered in small houses I would immediately campaigne to keep the pigs.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:10:15 am by Hilarysmum »

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:40 am »
thanks for your support, the field is greenbelt and can not be built on so while that's a good plan ( Hillary s mum ) they know it would never happen,
trouble is for 2 years there has been nothing on the land and its got overgrown, and the neighbours complained about that too, no pleasing some people,

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22:15 am »
I do not think there is any law about not being allowed to have an overgrown field!!  In fact, some while ago, people were encoured to set aside land and be paid for it.  Incidentally, there are a lot of fields round here that are overgrown and unused .....and have been for years, and no one has been successful in having them tidied up.

Perhaps your neighbours are jealous that you have the field, and thats why they are like this.  If its green belt, then surely you will not be allowed to build a house for yourself on it?  I know we are in green belt here, and the national park etc.  and you cannot even put up a stable, let alone a house.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:44:41 am »
don't give up your dreams because of someone. its your Field your animals and if your happy that your doing your best no one will stop you. is this the rspca/sspca or the animal person from the council. most animal protection folks are down to earth. just be friendly once they know your ok they will let you be.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:14:45 pm »
Some people just aren't happy unless they've got something to complain about  :(
It makes them feel as if they're actually doing something with their less than ideal lives  ;)
Don't let them get to you - the animal inspector is obviously happy enough and the next time they compain hopefully he'll have enough sense to tell them that you're doing everything correctly and maybe they'll back off.
If not, you could always get 20 or 30 large whites in for 6 months, they'd be more than happy to see the kunes back after that ! ;) ;D ;D ;D

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:43:50 pm »
Sorry to have to say it this way but,,,,,, you are lying down playing dead before you have been shot!!!

Just imagine if these self same people moaned/complained about one of your kids, would you then allow that and give away a child? No of course you wouldnt so dont let these people tell you how to live your life. Fight back girl!!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:30:40 pm »
Agreed......'Don't let the Ba*tards grind you down'. Get a letter from the animal welfare officer stating that the complaint was frivolous and vexatious. It'll sure help the next time the complain.....if they listen to them the next time.

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 05:55:38 pm »
A friend in UK, has land with a house, never a moments problem, then new people moved nearby with horses.  They asked if they could use her footpath to ride their horses across to the adjacent common to avoid a very busy main road.  She agreed.  Within months they were petitioning for the removal of her pigs because their horses were apt to play up at the smell of the pigs as they rode through her land. 

They caused a lot of trouble then offered her a derisory amount to buy her field! 

She is still in the same place, they arent.  Dont be bullied.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS