Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe swollen vulva *LAMB PHOTOS!*  (Read 25214 times)

bbell

• Joined Jan 2015
Ewe swollen vulva *LAMB PHOTOS!*
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:25:27 pm »
Im going a little nutty with this ewe!! She was bred when we got her, so I do not have a date :(

She has been showing mild signs for about a week now
- udder developing (tight, nipples full and standing)
- I can see her sides have sunk a bit and I can see her rump and tail bone seems hallow (she looks like a triangle from behind)
- Her vulva is swollen, pink and shiny
- she makes faces when she is laying down (lip curling, staring behind her)

but I have not seen any signs of ACTIVE labor. she has got to be getting close right!? lol like I said...I'm going nutty!  I think she is messing with me.  :fc:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:29:52 pm by bbell »

bbell

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Ewe swollen vulva
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:32:35 pm »
Every one likes vulva photos right?  ;)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Ewe swollen vulva *photos*
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:01:08 pm »
I would say she should be soon looking at the pics an your description do you know what she is in lamb too

bbell

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:04:39 pm »
I would say she should be soon looking at the pics an your description do you know what she is in lamb too

She was bred to a Dorper x Suffolk Ram (he was mostly Dorper). We didn't scan her, as we didn't know she was bred originally! So I think she may only have a single in there...but they like to surprise us!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:24 pm »
Nice Ewe!  Hope she gets on with it soon for you  :thumbsup: .

I'm sorry to hear about your stolen Volvo though  :bouquet: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:06:27 pm »
I don't know the breed specific but I would also say not too long - look for her keeping away on her own and pawing the ground - more imminent then.

PS Womble haven't laughed so much for ages  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15:04 pm »
Great pics!

Given the time you posted last night, I hope this girl has gone on and produced for you by now :fc:

Hope all went well - lambie pics always very well-received, of course ;)  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:06:39 pm »
PS Womble haven't laughed so much for ages  :thumbsup:

Seconded!!  :roflanim:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:19:53 pm »
I would perhaps consider getting an experienced shepherd or vet to check her out.  A badly presented lamb (breech, for instance) won't open up the cervix.

bbell

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »
feel free to use those photos as a ewe who ISN'T actually going to lamb :) haha

I thought for sure she was ready to go, but she never went into an active labor, and is as normal as ever today (her vulva still huge).  She was even hopping around and "playing" with the other ewes this morning while waiting for her morning grain.

I think her lip curling and slight grunting may be from discomfort when laying down as it was momentary and quickly passed once she got comfortable.

I will keep updating this one until we have a lamb! 
I will be getting my vet out here as if she shows signs of distress for sure.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:55:35 pm »
We always pick out the next ewe to lamb for "sure" and are wrong. One much less ready looking always seems to go first

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:49:09 pm »
lol, well we can all get caught out.  Probably one of the lambs was moving position, making her lie down and pull faces.  I had one like that once - I was certain she'd lamb within 2 hours three or four times over a period of three weeks!  A word of caution, though - when she did lamb, she had triplets ;)  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 08:12:04 am »
Nice looking ewe  :)

Hopefully will be soon!

she does look soon although I usually get it wrong with mine and some little jumpy one who looked weeks off usually turns up with twins  ::)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 08:30:30 am »
Probably one of the lambs was moving position, making her lie down and pull faces.

That's the conclusion we came to, the Charmoise in particular seem to grunt, throw their heads back, go back up on one front foot, curl the lips and then chew away happily. Keeps us guessing.  :huff:

bbell

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »
WELL! she is STILL holding onto that lamb :)  I think she secretly knows it drives me crazy.

We caved and purchased a barn camera to save me the pain of midnight checks. It wont be here until Wednesday...so I'm sure she lamb Tuesday night just to prove a point! ha ha

she did have a slight clear sticky discharge last night, not enough to drip. I'm hoping that's another sign?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS