Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jacob Fleeces  (Read 5011 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Jacob Fleeces
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »
We have 10 Jacob sheep fleeces sitting in the shed.  Every time I open the door they shout "find us a good home". 
I haven't a clue what to do with them.  I'm happy to give them away to someone who would use them.  Anyone have any ideas/know of someone?  Thank you all.  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Jacob Fleeces
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:16:23 pm »
I am sure you will have a. Local spinning group who would love them. They are very popular at my group but we are in Wales
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:12:36 am »
When were they shorn?  Have they been sitting on the floor since the summer?  Or have they been properly stored in moth proof bags with air circulation all round?  Have you skirted them to remove dags and draggles?  Have you opened them out to look at the quality?   Before you offer them for sale you need to know that they are of good marketable quality. If they have been dumped on the floor of a shed then they are likely to be damp, maybe with a few mice in there, and in poor condition.  If that's the case, you are better to ditch them and try again with this year's clip.  There's info in the crafts section on how to check over and store your fleeces, and some of the places you can sell them.  It's not an easy job selling fleeces - it's a buyers market, and those buyers are not willing to pay enough to cover the postage unless it's a very good fleece - hence the questions about quality.
Of course you could learn to spin yourself  :spin: and have a variety of end products to wear and give  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:28 am »
I couldn't give my Jacob fleeces away last year and put them in this years runner bean trench.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:33:56 am »
Neither could I, but what a good way to use them. Hadn't thought of that before. Good for lining hanging baskets too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:15 am »
As Fleecewife says, fleeces are only any use to handspinners and other crafters if they are looked after properly. 

Some Jacob fleeces are delicious and will be much appreciated by handspinners.  Unfortunately a lot of Jacob fleeces are not particularly nice for handspinning, and spinners know that.

If you can take them to your local Spinners Guild (map of all affiliated Guilds here) or other local spinning group, you will get some feedback on whether they are suitable for handspinning and how to skirt and wrap them for spinners.  If they are nice for spinning, most spinners will happily pay £5 to £8 for a fleece in good condition, more if it's particularly nice fibre, well-presented.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 01:32:51 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.  I was actually only planning to give them away - not sell them - and yes, they have been stored properly. :)  They were the result of the first time that we have experienced our sheep being sheared (newbies) so were quite precious to us!  Happily though I have had a spinning club contact me, so all is well.  Thanks again everyone.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »
That's great  :thumbsup:

I know it seems bizarre - spinners hate to hear of good fleeces ending up in bean trenches or hanging baskets  :-J, but equally all spinners have been in the position of feeling obliged to take cotted fleeces that will simply end up in bean trenches or hanging baskets  ::)  (I got rooked into taking two such quite recently.  Thankfully a friend says she can use one of them in needlefelting.  The other is getting used as a cover for my 'milking stool'  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:58:53 pm »
Yes I have a dark fleece that has been given to me that I think is Jacob.... But it seems to be a bag of fluff! Can't work out what to do with it....

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:05:44 pm »
 :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 03:57:17 pm »
.... Almost like a bag of Icelandic thel... Wondered if Jacobs had a double coat, but fleece source book says not.....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:11:52 pm »
FiB - many Jacob keepers also show, and Jacobs are one of the breeds which are thoroughly 'dressed' before entering the show ring, which includes keeping the fleece to a certain length with obsessive topiary work (seems that way to me as if I show, it's breeds which are shown straight off the field).  This means there are always bags of shortish fluff, plus even when they are shorn there is little length to it.  I was given a number of these - they looked very pretty on the bonfire  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »
Ha, that'll be tree mulch then, or stuffing.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:23 pm »
Fleeces all gone - nine to Castletown Spinners group and another to be posted down South!  Thanks everyone for being so helpful  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 08:39:42 am »
Brilliant!   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS