Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Rabbit  (Read 2739 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
The Rabbit
« on: January 17, 2010, 09:53:19 am »
Hello all I reported that Godfrey had called and in the bag was a beautifull plump rabbit Well I used some to make the Game Pate's but there was quite a bit left.So I made 12oz dollop of hot water pastry (12oz plain flour - 1 T/spn salt - 1/4 pint of water - 4oz lard ) I heat the water with the lard until the lard has melted Then pour it into the flour and mix until its a nice dough.Cut a 1/4 of the dough off and keep it moist and warm Line a warm pork pie tin and fill with layers of rabbit meat and home made dry cure fatty ham or bacon sprinkle a little salt and pepper now and then together with a little chopped sage and thyme not to much to over power the meat when the pie is full pour a tablespoon of brandy over and then get the quarter of pastry you reserved ,roll it out and make it into a lid.Trim nicely and make a decorative? with the trimmings incorporate a 1/2" hole in the decor (YOU MUST KEEP ALL THIS WARM)Brush over with beaten egg. Bake in a hot oven 30 minutes then reduce the heat and cook a further 11/2 hours.Remove from the oven and allow to cool Get a cup of the stock from the game pate pot and again reduce by half Carefully pour through the hole in the crust.Its very good for supper with friends :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS