Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting pigs  (Read 3953 times)

Piggly9

• Joined Jan 2010
Transporting pigs
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:12:31 pm »
Hi all, I've recently agreed to take a female pig into the sanctuary (we rescue, raise, rehabilitate and release wild animals, as well as keeping some live stock), we have all of the housing, feed, CPH number etc set up but one thing we're stuck on....Transporting her! She's a baby pot bellied pig, 14 weeks so I'm told, and is being transported from a farm a couple of hours away, I'm assuming due to the laws this means we'll need some kind of license (other then the movement license...I mean one to tow a trailer of some sort) and a trailer? Can somebody clear this up for me please, and the best way to transport a pig of this age/size? Btw, the only car that would be available on that day would be a Vauxhall Omega I would think, but at a stretch we may be able to gain access to a Citroen Berlingo van (no windows or seats in the back, and the back is all boarded out and so on) if that would help at all?

Thanks in advance!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Transporting pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »
It is worth contacting your local Animal Health department.  I know that if it is in connection with an economic activity and the journey is over 65km you need to get a transport licence. 

Being a sanctuary you might not have to do this, but I think you will find you will need a livestock trailer to transport her.

Where are you located?

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »
Hi
A 14 week old "teacup pig" will fit into a dog cage making it easier to transport. I would of thought that as it's not a commercial transaction then the dog cafe in the boot of the car would suffice!
I'm sure others will correct me.
Do they still use those transport licences? We sat them about 15 months ago and I'm thought I saw it somewhere that, like blue Tongue vaccine, it wouldn't be continued. Must check up!!
Lee

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:29:51 pm »
ive just got my cph number and pet pigs come under the same regs as livestock pigs.
defra sent me a wonderful pig pack with lots of info re laws regs and care
i would fone them up and ask for  the new pig keepers guide,

it needs to be tagged ect to move
you need a general licence
a movement  licence
you need to register pigs with local aho

you can get a pet pig walking licence

your local animal health officer will be able to fill you in more.
defra will give you the phone number.
i am just in process of doing all this,the new keepers guide is very helpful
also look on defra website.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »
If the pig is in danger just put it in the cage and get it there, otherewise you'll be at least a week sorting that lot out.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:26:28 pm »
word of warning,we were going to move a pig and were going to sort out the paperwork  ect later, i was warned that you will get in so much trouble not doing it correctly,you might get a huge fine.its  a couple of hours on the phone max.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:52 pm »
In Scotland pigs under a year old don't need tagged. As long as the transport/container can be washed out then you could argue your case.
Still unclear on the transport licences.

Piggly9

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »
As we are not a registered sanctuary the laws remain the same for us. Scattybiker - how much is the pig pack?

The pig isn't in any real danger and the people who have him now seem ok with keeping hold of him whilst we get things sorted out. We're in the west midlands.
We're going to call defra to clear things up I think. The pig has already moved premises before so I would have thought she'd have all requirments of being moved, I'm just unsure how the easiest way within law is. Thanks soooooo much for your replies everyone !!!

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 10:25:06 pm »
theres a 20 day standstill on moving pigs from 1 premises to another  so thats going to have to taken into consideration.
the pig packs are free, just a load of booklets if you want i can scan them and email them to you might be a bit big tho.  but best fone them if any change of livestock they need to know as well so they said .best tell everyone concerned whats going on i think.
i have a local urban farm who i got advice off as well and best play it to the rules.defra i found were really helpful and pleasant to deal with,and they fone you back too.the rules are there to stop foot and mouth ect again,and i didnt find it hard to get all this info or anything just a wee bit time consumingplus i did it just before christmas you already have cph number ,that was the hardest bit. ive been told that as long as transport can be disinfected properly,but im still looking into using my  van but theres stuff about gates and things.thers a lot to wade through. in the pig pack.
it didnt take long to arrive in post

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS