Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig starter ark  (Read 5220 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
pig starter ark
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:41 pm »

i was reading an old smallholder mag and came across this ad, what does anybody think   worth the money or not?

would it work out better than buying individually

/www.animalarks.co.uk

Pig Arks - Pig Starter Arks

Pig Starter Kit

EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN ONE PACKAGE TO START KEEPING YOUR

OWN PIGS.-WE NOW INCLUDE A FLOOR AND NEW HURDLES.

Kit comprises :-

Pig Ark 8ft x 6ft S/A complete with one of our heavy duty non slip timber detachable floors

Electric Fence energiser HOTLINE 2 yr guarantee

20 Hotline wide heel bar stakes

250 metres 6 strand polywire

15 litre Deep bowl mains drinker with drain plug

3ft Galvanised feed trough

4 new 5ft interlocking Hurdles

Pig Moving Board

Book “Traditional Pig Keeping” by Carol Harris a renowned author and an expert on pigs

The ark and equipment can be altered to cater for your individual needs, the 8ftx6ft is suitable for 8-10 weaners to pork weight, a sow and litter or 2 or3 dry sows.

All the above for £599.00 inclusive of VAT
    Animal Arks Pig Starter Kit

Please phone us with your postcode for a delivery price.
Agents for Hotline electric fencing
Agents for Hotline electric fencing    

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: pig starter ark
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:32:41 am »
I can highly recommend Animal Arks.....I have 8 of them so far.  Really good quality and very well made.

Great customer service too, I speak to Phil there.  Very helpful, and happy to offer advice.

I've got their  8' x 8' farrowing arks, 8 x 8's and a 6' x 4', all with floors. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:12 am »
Looks a canny site and prices don't seem that bad. New to keeping pigs....wanting some this year sometime and was wondering which are best to go for...the traditional arks with steel roof and plywood or the recyled plastic jobs?

The other option would be to make them myself of course.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:53:10 am »
hi all hope you mind me being cheeky as used to be a regular on here, im selling my pig ark which is hand built and a one off,5'3 wide by 10ft long galvanised steel frame with raised wooden decking floor,built to last forever steel skids so can be towed by 4x4 or tractor also back is removable to ease cleaning, currently on ebay can deliver within gloucestershire area only, put in pig ark in search and you should see my ugly mug...........many thanks neil

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:19:00 am »
Personally I prefer the traditional arks, very sturdy and a really well made raised floor.....essential here because my ground gets very wet and muddy.

From the research I did on arks, to me the 'plastic' ones looked as though they would be easy for the pigs to move about and they didn't have floors.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 12:15:27 pm »
hi all hope you mind me being cheeky as used to be a regular on here, im selling my pig ark which is hand built and a one off,5'3 wide by 10ft long galvanised steel frame with raised wooden decking floor,built to last forever steel skids so can be towed by 4x4 or tractor also back is removable to ease cleaning, currently on ebay can deliver within gloucestershire area only, put in pig ark in search and you should see my ugly mug...........many thanks neil

wish i lived nearer. too far unfortunatly

Wayside

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:28:00 pm »

Sorry to Hijack Post, but Garden Cottage would you deliver to South Gloucestershire (just outside Bristol)

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:07:29 pm »
Hi,

My personal opinion is : The ark  looks ok - but the hurdles would not last 5 mins with anything other than 2 week old weaners.

If you are going to get into pigs then go for quality and Robustness from the start. Commercial standard arks' are not that expensive considering how long they will last you.

As for hurdles around the ark, I would not entertain it - if a pig can get its snout under something and lift - then its out and running free! - Go for electric rope / wire if you want any chance of keeping them in.

Take a look here before you commit to buy:

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/standard-farrowing-p-149.html

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS