Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkie never laid an egg  (Read 10457 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Silkie never laid an egg
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:15 am »
The salmon faverolles I bought haven't laid anything yet they're six months old but I have had hens not lay till the following jan, that is if they don't lay in dec. I would kill and eat her or sell her at a cull poultry sale.

I don't think I will eat her as she is too small... but she won't be staying if she doesn't lay thats for sure! I will just give her away to someone who wants a pet. Fingers crossed she will lay
May I ask, if you don't mind? What do you feed her on? I feed my hens on layers pellets. When my chickens refuse to lay I give them diced seaweed in their food, which usually works.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 11:49:20 am »

The salmon faverolles I bought haven't laid anything yet they're six months old but I have had hens not lay till the following jan, that is if they don't lay in dec. I would kill and eat her or sell her at a cull poultry sale.

I don't think I will eat her as she is too small... but she won't be staying if she doesn't lay thats for sure! I will just give her away to someone who wants a pet. Fingers crossed she will lay in spring!

As far as I am aware Silkies are not a table bird

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 05:11:02 pm »
You could still eat them though :)

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 05:22:49 pm »
No I wouldn't.  Of all the breeds that my father kept Silkies were the only one we never ate.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 06:36:53 pm »
Interestingly, on I'm a celebrity get me out of here (not that I would watch such a programme  :-J ), one night they gave the celebs silkie chicken meat for dinner. This caused big excitement, as it was chicken rather than wallaby, snake, ostrich etc. It was black skinned, and afterwards they all agreed was the worst meal they'd had.

Beth

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »
I feed them layers pellets and greens, they also get shell grit for calcium if they want it!

The good news is that she has finally laid!! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: And now she has started she is laying every day, the others have stopped so she is all back to front haha I am delighted though and will hatch some chicks out ASAP!

I agree about not wanting to eat a silkie, I know of people who have and they say its not good!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »
Congrats! Am glad to hear it :thumbsup: my two buff Sussex hens have started to lay eggs every day now.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 04:42:14 pm »
Glad to hear she has finally laid

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 05:26:10 pm »
Thanks!! Yes I am really pleased! She has ten eggs and looks like she is thinking about going broody so I will let her hatch out some of her own chicks!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 09:33:39 am »
I'd be tempted to leave her a month or two before letting her hatch eggs Roddy.

Chances are as these are her first eggs, they are going to be quite small therefore the chicks will be small and the fertility probably won't be very high.

would be better to see her with a good batch of big chicks rather than have her hatch out one or two small ones.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 01:52:16 pm »
Apart from the first egg which was small the rest have been of a normal silkie size. She has been mated constantly by the little rooster who has proven very fertile with the other 2 girls who all hatched 100% as first timers (so much better than my plymouths who were about 85% this year *sigh*) I think I will set her with about 10 of the freshest eggs and see what happens! I will keep you posted!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS