Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drawn out hatching  (Read 1207 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Drawn out hatching
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:52 am »
I've got a couple Brinsea Octagon 20's and while we have had good success, we always seem to get drawn out hatches. I've got 5 chicks which hatched 48 hours ago and I really need to get them out this morning but I've also got eggs still pipping and I know they'll get shrink wrapped if I open the lid. Is there a reason for this? Hunidity too low? I've always filled both channels with water at lock down but I suspect they are now empty. Would it be wise to re-fill them on day 20?

How do you cope with a larger amount of eggs?  I was looking at a Brinsea 190 with the hatching tray and humidity control etc.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Drawn out hatching
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:43:28 am »
Those that hatched 48 hours ago will certainly need swift access to crumbs and water.  Are the eggs a mix of breeds?  This can certainly lead to a variation in length of incubation time.  If your hatching period is, say, four days, it would be worth considering adding more water to prevent the egg membranes drying out. I was advised not to add water at all by Shaun Hammon of the Wernlas Collection, as it tended to make the chicks too big to pip the eggs, but I know a lot of folks do so.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Drawn out hatching
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:34 am »
I've taken them out now. Had a few pipping last night so decided to hold off. They say they can last up to 3 days without food but it seems a long time. They are all RIR and humidity was on the low side all through. When you say no water at all, do you mean including at lock down?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS