Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first ever visit from mr fox  (Read 11701 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: first ever visit from mr fox
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
Sorry to hear. I know the menace foxes are (not evil, but unquestionably a menace) me & my dad have spent most of both our lives controlling them. Call it a live hate thing.

Do you keep dogs David? Any breed.

In terms of bait that doesn't attract maggots (well quite as much as raw meat) you have to remember fox are omnivorous. Bait of peanut butter, jam (but get wasps) or using pike attractor from angling shop, spray it around entrance, very stinky stuff.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 10:44:43 pm »
David has one dog, an old boy, but I have four Brittanys of varying ages and it doesn't stop foxes coming round and checking my place!  I lost ducks and hens a couple of years ago from a paddock that my dogs regularly run free in.

We used to have 24 acres, hens, ducks, sheep, cattle - and a big German Wirehair as well as 6 Brittany's - she was sent out every night around 11.30pm, we used to watch her do a circuit of the fields, and next day we'd often see a fox strolling down through the fields.  Hester would have killed any fox that came near and often came back with smaller vermin. They have no fear, not a bloody care in the world!  I hate them.

So good on you for  keeping them under controil
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 08:54:02 am »
Our Murphy chased a fox that was stalking alongside the chicken run at 4pm yesterday (again) He's getting very good at seeing them off, including one that was firmly attached to the leg of a newborn lamb last spring.
What the fox didn't realise was that murphy was most likely wanting to play  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 05:00:28 pm »
You and Murphy are going to get banged up for illegal fox hunting!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »
 ;D  that did cross my mind
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »
Just be sure to shout "No Rover!" so everyone can hear you, should keep you right with plod

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 08:39:31 pm »
You will have a better response if you shout "No Rover" in a high pitched, encouraging tone. Guaranteed to call him off.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 11:45:09 pm »
You and Murphy are going to get banged up for illegal fox hunting!

No you wont, not unless murphy has one more canine pal join him. Besides, you were just exercising your dog...  ????

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »
I wasn't entirely serious Ben!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 09:50:47 pm »
at the risk of sounding a pratt it always amazes me that people spend lots on getting what breeds they want...spends loads on a shed...spend lots on feed etc BUT NEVER BUY AN ELECTRIC FENCE. nothing else will do. shooting one will let others in.... you will never shoot them all but a bloody good belt of electric and fox will not return
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:54:57 pm by harry »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 09:23:44 am »
at the risk of sounding a pratt it always amazes me that people spend lots on getting what breeds they want...spends loads on a shed...spend lots on feed etc BUT NEVER BUY AN ELECTRIC FENCE. nothing else will do. shooting one will let others in.... you will never shoot them all but a bloody good belt of electric and fox will not return
What about shooting the fox and then putting up electric fencing after?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:51 am »
Electric netting is very good and once a fox has been whacked they won't try again. Having said that, it does take some effort to make sure it's always working well. I lost 9 leghorns in a 50m net last year. Not sure how he got in, must have clean jumped it, maybe a cub. What I do know is that it took him ages to get out as there was digging and scraping all around the inside of the net. He must have had multiple shocks but escaped in the end. Didn't take a single bird, just killed them so I'm hoping he's gone away with an empty tummy and a sore head and won't be back. I did re-double my efforts on grass shorting and also put a 5 strand electric stock fence around the outside of all the pens as well so it's a double barrier.

But generally, electric is the way to go, if not 100% infallible.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:26 pm »
a fence is not enough... you need 1 or 2 trip wires around the fence... 1 about a foot off the ground and a foot away from the fence,,,, if you also put a 2nd trip wire up about a foot away from the first theres no way a fox will jump or dig in.............. i dont even use a full fence anymore just ordinary fencing with 3 trip wires arond it....that way the wires never short out

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS