Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Protein / Feed Buckets  (Read 2495 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Protein / Feed Buckets
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:49:52 pm »
Protein / Feed Buckets - Do you feed these and if so what do you feed?

Thanks

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Protein / Feed Buckets
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:44:48 pm »
I tend to stick with the red Rockies but do give a mineral molasses bucket after kidding as a treat. They love the Rockies. I also give Brinicombe goat balancer once a day in feed.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:08:20 pm »
I used the sheep general minerals bucket last winter when they were in with the ewes pre-lambing/kidding, which they liked, changed to the cattle one when I split them because they're supposed to need the extra copper and still got most of it left.  They just didn't like it.

They do have rockies and caprivite as well.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:32:36 pm »
Nope - I wouldn't trust my girls to know when to stop licking the sweeties... :o

Mine have red rockies, and if I think one of them needs it a mineral (sheep) drench with added copper. But at the moment none of them will eat Caprivite, or garlic or seaweed... so nothing else other than shreds, calf mix/dairy nuts and rolled oats. Plus carrots, apples and bananas, some cabbage/kale leaves. All are doing well.

Now that I have only Shetlands I have stopped using the buckets on the sheep too, found that the Shetlands ended up with mucky bums... prefer to give concentrates/shreds if needed. But I have a small enough flock and can feed twice a day and make sure that shy eaters get their share too... so probably different from "mainstream" sheepkeepers.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:39:05 am »
we use a smallholder block now and again, usually pre-kidding as a bit of a booster. They LOVE it but its like a bucket of treacle toffee so they all end up with sticky brown noses  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS