Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fat Pygmy goats  (Read 2781 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Fat Pygmy goats
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:23:18 pm »
As the title says my goats are too fat I think. They have ad-lib hay and 2 small feeds a day which consist of some chopped fruit and veg and a small handful of goat mix each. One of them still has her wether son with her, as I didn't intend breeding this year I haven't weaned him, mainly because I have only the three goats so no one to put him with. How can I get some weight off them ?
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Fat Pygmy goats
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »
No goat mix whatsoever, no bananas, maybe a few carrots and apples. Just hay otherwise, try and see if they like good quality straw. and if yes, replace some hay with straw. Exercise regime?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:12:24 pm »
I have just had a picture flash in my mind of goats doing star jumps.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:19:15 am »
They do seem prepared to eat straw so have mixed some in with their hay, carrots,swede and apple for tea! We also managed a walk round the field although they weren't impressed with the muddy gateway. In this horrible weather they are not keen to leave the yard.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:14 am »
If you can (safely) put up some pallets or something else to jump on, also call them to run over for a few treats to you once in a while - it all contributes to exercise.

But I think it is quite difficult to keep pygmies in good condition, their body shape doesn't help...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS