Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tips for Land Rover newbies  (Read 16934 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Tips for Land Rover newbies
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 08:26:12 am »
I bet your trip to bring the landy back will go faultlessly - just to prove how contrary the things are.  :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 09:29:17 am »
Just don't be in a hurry ;D

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 10:44:54 pm »
We made it back home!  :excited:  :thumbsup:
Yes, it did take a while, but only minor issues emerged, no drama, seems we made a good buy.
In dire need of a glass of wine now - will be posting more on the adventure soon!
Thank you all for all the advice and encouragement  :trophy:

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 09:38:46 am »
Well, they say that 60% of all Land Rovers ever made are still on the road.

So congratulations on being in the other 40% who actually made it to their destination!  ;D

We need photos now though!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 08:39:00 pm »
Well... it took us about double the time the SatNav estimated but still the experience was a lot less uncomfortable or scary that one might be led to believe reading this thread  ;D
We found the vehicle pretty much as described (as far as we could tell anyway, though the doors didn't lock).
OH did a quick check of things while I went off to sort the tax with the dealer (who was super helpful, I must say.)
One of the sidelights didn't come on, which dealer got down to fix there and then (he swore it worked the day before), and we got a first show of the Lukas principle: after trying a few things the problem seemed to be no earth - a bit of tightening the light fitting screws and presto the light was back on!  ;D
So we set off on the long way home. The worst bit really was crossing Bristol in Saturday traffic... OH swearing at the gearbox, mostly. After that we were cruising along quite steadily at 50mph, rather pleasant really, never to worry about overtaking anything  ;D
Yes, the whole thing does vibrate - but not to the point of having to shout, taking loudly is enough. With a bit of practice I think I can learn to tell the gear and speed by the sound of the vibration waves.
And then it got dark... and the full beam lights didn't work - beam switch seems to turn all lights off  ??? (maybe they stopped working en route or maybe this was missed when we checked, no idea). Anyway, the dip lights are pretty good so this only became a bit problematic on the very dark roads close to home. Also what seemed to be warm(ish) air blowing out of the heater cooled down rather considerably when the temperature dropped after dark, so the last hour or so was definitely 'not toasty'. Oh and we managed to loose the fuel cap somewhere on the way (entirely our fault)  ::)

All in all this was an exciting, fun and only a bit of an exhausting journey. Madness still to go all that way to pick up a Landy when we could probably got one around here anyway, but this one just came up a the right time, with right specs and right price, so it was a bit of a whim, but I think it was worth it.

I admit I chickened out from having a go at driving it, OH drove all the way (he loves driving, I hate driving). He already thinks it's a lot of fun  ;D While I can already see this becoming more of a creature than a thing, another 'animal' I'll enjoy looking after on the smallholding (I'll do the looking after, including learning how to repair a few things, and OH can drive it - everybody will be happy  :)

Special mention must go to Mojo the dog who was extremely patient throughout this rather long day (some kind of vibration frequency made him jump regularly). And to you TAS people for advice and encouragement  :trophy:

on the upside:
it didn't break down and nothing fell off
very little rust
engine has a lot of power
gearbox cooperates once you work out the subtleties (see diagram above)
only used up a tankful of diesel for the distance (that's with the fuel cap off for about 80 miles until we noticed...)

on the downside:
doors don't lock (surely it's not a good idea to leave them unlocked, it maybe an old car but a coveted one?)
beam lights don't work (bit more complicated that one)
screen wash nozzle stopped working at squirt no.3 (it was jutting out away from the windscreen but against the wind it still hit the right spot - is this normal?  :innocent:
incomplete tow bar (the bracket & electric connection is there but tow hitch/ball/plate is missing. (trying to figure out which parts exactly I need to get)

You've all been so helpful but I don't really want to keep asking too many detailed technical question here, so I'll ask two general questions?
- any recommendations for a good (and friendly) Landrover forum out there?
- recommendations for ordering parts? (I think I saw something in a past thread here but can't find it, sorry)

Thank you again!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 09:10:16 pm »
Www.landyzone.co.uk is quite good (apparently - my OH uses t)
Www.landroverowners.com
Www.lr4x4.com

:excited:

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 10:01:36 pm »
we use paddocks spares. a haynes manual will prove useful too. Glad you got back in one piece! I was hoping you would post an update.
Land rover locks are easy (and cheap) to change.

Enjoy being a landy owner!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
The Beast looks lovely and sooo much smarter than our old blue of a similar vintage :-[ .  If you were driving through Bristol I have a feeling he may have come from a dealer near us.
You will be hooked now and there's no escape :roflanim:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 08:14:04 am »
That looks like a pretty tidy 90 for it's age. Remember if you get fed up of the cramped space in the truck cab it's an easy job to convert it into a hardtop. The truck cab will be warmer in the winter though due to less space for the rather pathetic heater to warm up. Enjoy it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:35 pm »
^ What they said!  Yours looks to be in considerably better nick than my much newer one, so well done!  :thumbsup: .  I see it has all the usual foibles installed as standard!

• doors don't lock - Door locks are very easily / cheaply replaced without taking the door off, just the inner lining. Do both of them at once so you'll only need one key for both doors. You'll find a guide online easily enough. Just buy more of the clippy things that hold the door lining on, as you're bound to break most of them. Also lubricate the window mechanisms whilst you're in there.
  • The beam lights don't work - Just the usual stuff to work through really. Beware of bad (high resistance) earth faults. These can be confusing the first time you come across one (he says :innocent: ), as the bulbs will be getting the correct voltage, but no current. The other thing to be aware of is if the headlight bulbs have been upgraded, but without relays being added. On my landy, the extra spotlights had just been wired in in parallel with the existing full beam circuit, and the additional current caused two indicator switches to burn out before I figured out what the problem was. Mine now has a bank of relays under the passanger seat, and I've had no further problems.
  • screen wash nozzle stopped working at squirt no.3 (it was jutting out away from the windscreen but against the wind it still hit the right spot - is this normal?  :innocent: - Yes, fairly normal. Mine had an advisory on "screenwash not adequately covering windscreen, and wipers poor", and I had to point out it left the factory like that!  I did fix it though, by installing jets that attach to the front wipers and spray directly onto the screen, which is a big improvement. If you fancy a little faffing, check whether a "99 relay" will fit your Landy. This is a wiper relay from a VW sharan IIRC, and just replaces the existing one. However, what it gives you is infinitely variable intermittent wipers. You just flick the wiper switch once, then wait for the delay time you want between wipes, then flick it again and it remembers the delay. It's the simple things.....  ;D
  • incomplete tow bar (the bracket & electric connection is there but tow hitch/ball/plate is missing. (trying to figure out which parts exactly I need to get). - A call to Paddocks will sort you out there. However, do you ONLY need a ball? If so, I have a landy one I can send you in return for donating the postage to charity. It's a combination ball/pin hitch, but the pin tended to seize in place, so I replaced it with another one I had. PM me if it's any use to you.
  • You've all been so helpful but I don't really want to keep asking too many detailed technical question here, so I'll ask two general questions? - ah what the hell, makes a nice change from talking about sheep and chickens. I can't add anything to what's already been posted on those. At the risk of starting an argument though, I now avoid Britpart parts wherever possible. Except for simple consumables like filters, I've just found them to be a false economy. For example, the key for the Britpart locking wheel nuts failed whilst putting the first wheel *on*, and I had a hell of a job getting it back off again (had to weld a spanner to the nut and then hit it off with a hammer!). I know sometimes Britpart stuff is as good as or even the same as the genuine article, but after this and a few more bad experiences, I now shell out a little bit more for Bearmach or Allmakes parts when the option exists!
Enjoy your Landy - it looks like a cracker!  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:23:36 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 07:37:49 pm »
Something suspect about your landrover....tdi model didn't come out until h reg.  I would make enquiries sharpish...might just be an aftermarket decal...or 2nd hand replacement wing..but who knows.?

What has it been sold to you as ?

What engine is actually in it ?

It looks very good mind , I'm very jealous....it's not uncommon for landis this old to have been done up over the years, so don't panic , but I would carry out some basic checks all the same.

I used to use paddocks for a lot of parts, buy one of the landrover mags in the newsagent they are full of adds for parts.
Do you know looking at that picture I might just have to go and treat myself to one...the disease has got hold of me again !
Ask any questions you like on here , in the hay day of your landrover there wasn't anything I didn't know about them......well not much any way !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:53:12 pm by stufe35 »

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »
Thank you all for keeping the advice coming  :thumbsup:
Glad you seem to think it looks good for its age (that's what I thought too, but then I have no clue...)

It was sold as 'fitted with TDI200' - this was part of the spec advertised, so wouldn't have thought this was dodgy? Dealer was open about the fact that this was a newer engine fitted into an older model - I didn't think this was strange? Even 'normal' cars of a certain age have engines replaced sometimes, I thought this may be even more common with Landys. What else should I have enquired about?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 09:12:25 pm »
Now you explain it's had a new engine, I think the vehicle probably got new wings and grill from the vehicle that donated the engine too , which is why I noticed anomalies for its age.  Rest at ease !

Now let me get back to ebay to find my self one !  It does look fab.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »
If you ever think you have broken the rear half shaft ... Don't ever lean you fancy 10 gear rough terrain bicycle across the front end whilst you prove it by selecting four wheel drive and accelerate away .

For it takes several minutes with an angle grinder to remove a mangled cycle from under & around the gear box.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 07:49:50 am »
If it has a 200tdi engine fitted then you have the best engine LR ever made for the Fender in my book. No nasty electronics, very reliable and simple to fix if anything does go wrong. Just keep on top of your oil changes and it should last a very long time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS