Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 8 MORE INCHES OFF SNOW IN AVIEMORE  (Read 7587 times)

bamford6

Re: 8 MORE INCHES OFF SNOW IN AVIEMORE
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »
to day tuesday the 5th januarey  4 more inches has fell it is naw just over 1 and a half meters

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 02:39:32 pm »
really heavy snow just arrived  this morning in wirral.
we had a bit but mostlysnow slush and hail which has been making it  hard to get around when frozen.
but now it is proper heavy thick snow blizzards,cant get car out and were stuck in,cant go to work either, self employed gardener.hant been able to get a proper day in for a while,if anyone offered me an office job right now id take it.
 :D

bamford6

Re: 8 MORE INCHES OFF SNOW IN AVIEMORE /4 ft more to day drastic measures
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 08:38:50 pm »
the 53 pens arcs sheds etc are naw coverd .all you can see is a snowey field . we will atempt to move 200 birds ito my double garage we will  be building a massive pen .the garage can hold 3 cars so im going to save these birds even iff it means recing the garage . iv got the wood and help some off the cock birds are worth pounds top silkies from darbey at 75 pound each 2 chocklate orpingtons cocks  and hens .ornimental phesents ducks 2 rams 1000 each no room to feed round bale a day for 6 weeks .not had a let up since 19 december even new yere i was in the pens at 2.30 in the morning

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:41:42 am »
hi all
i see you are enjoying the snow
you should make use of it pile it up around any buildings you have it .
 it insulates very well i always pile it up around the chicken cop those 6 birds keep it warm enough for them  i only have to keep the water from freezing for them i use electric pad under waterpail  as for the cattle i have 3 highlanders  and 1 jersey they rather lay down under the evergreens  than go in a walkin barn  the colder it gets the more i feed them
 the highest temperature i have seen an the last 10 days -7 C
 as for the  snow as long as i can keep the lane way clear with a 5 hp snow blower so i can drive the car in and out all's fine
i saw the posted pictures of your snow it made me fell quite at home
nick in canada

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:48 am »
no more snow, but i got a lovely wee text from the Future Mrs SB as I was still cosy in bed. It was -14 when she got in the car to go to work this morning

brrrrrrrrrrr

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
We are still under a big blanket of snow here in the wilds of Derbyshire.  I am well used to heavy snow living here, and really cold temperatures, and thought I could cope ok, but last night a severe frost on top of the snow, and when I went to bed it was -10 and if you add some on for the wind chill  too, even I was feeling the cold, and with only having one coal fire and one oil filled radiator in the house, I did fear I may be frozen solid this morning.

Really cold this morning, but the sun has pushed through, and its -7.8 now, so a little better.  Thank goodness its my day off work, as its taken me three hours to feed all the livestock, including trying to open frozen doors etc.  All seem ok, and the little goat kid is full of life, trying to leap onto his mums back.

Just come in the house, and there is a large puddle in the middle of the room ....rushed upstairs and it appears to be coming from the water  system.  I am not good on plumbing, but looks very like a burst.  Cannot get hold of OH but left a text, but he is miles away, so cannot rely on hm.  Plumber lives in the cottage over the field, but I daresay he is already out dealing with plenty of burst pipes already,

Oh, and I put the last of the coal on the fire last night, may have to get a bag and sledge it down from where we are parked, as still no vehicle access.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 11:32:06 am »
yep thats what we have been doing from before christmas. 6 kids are useful for dragging food around for the ponies and sheep.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 01:55:33 pm »
Just seen on the local tv programme that a village just over the hill from us, dipped to -18 degrees last night....we are this side of the hill, and they are the other.  I wish I knew how low our temperature went in the night, as I have never felt that cold.  We are in a valley, next to a big river, so I suppose we will get more frost and lower temperatures.  - 10 was cold enough for me when I went to bed.  Anyway, sun is out now, but its not quite warm enough to rush for the bikini :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »
It kinda makes all those £34.99 flights to Tennerife seem even more appealing - shame my passport's expired !

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 06:59:11 pm »
-13.5 on the way home from town. that is extremly cold for up here. it was -8 at the croft so i think its going to get well down towards -15 - -20 tonight.
our record coldest was -8.9 in the 1950s.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »
It took us 11hours to return home from Yorkshire today due to roads.
I arrived home to find 8inches of snow piled up on the netting above the makeshift hen run, so what did i do, go into the run and to move the snow, insted i brought it all down, netting included trapping me like a pancake underneath.  ;D

I cant imagine what the poor fellow was going through when his she collapses trapping 400 cattle, and two workers.  :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 09:33:46 pm »
Just saw this advice on a Government website - hope it helsp, with no grit or salt around it could be an alternative -
Put grit or cat litter on paths and driveways to lessen the risk of slipping on compacted snow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:23 pm »
no more snow, but i got a lovely wee text from the Future Mrs SB as I was still cosy in bed. It was -14 when she got in the car to go to work this morning

brrrrrrrrrrr

You may think that was bad, but it was still -14 here when I left for work at 9:30am! -8 at 3pm, and -14 again by the time I got home at 7pm. Fortunately my work is flexible-ish as we are open until 8pm, and there are other people who can get in for the 8am start, so I have been going in for 10 or 10:30 which gives me extra time to thaw out frozen water etc for the animals!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS