Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig fencing  (Read 3032 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
pig fencing
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:08:40 pm »
hello im just about to get my first pig,was going to do more reaserch ect but have been given one,so need to swot up quickly.the pigs are going to have 4 acres of land in a walled woodland,but it is wooden fencing down the length of the house garden/woodland
it does need replcaing as its starting to rot. but it is really long and will cost a fortune to do and there is so much elase to do.will pigs respect the fencing 5ft high or will they push against it will i need to put netting up against it ,i was going to anyway but now its urgent.what is the best fencing to use.
also ive been given 1 pig and i know they prefer company but it is a fully grown 3yr old white pig that is a handreared  pet can i do it now or  is there any recommended mothod of adding more? or will she be fine on her own
any advice on anything will be appriciated oh how high can pigs jump?
thank you

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: pig fencing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »
dont know about jumping by the sure can bulldoze

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:52:46 pm »
dont know about jumping by the sure can bulldoze

and once they find a bulldozable spot they will go back again and again!!
Secure fencing/electric tape etc is a must in my opinion!!
Id say if its rotten replace it or inline with electric tape (quickest and cheapest option), pigs will push up anything for a good old scratch!
Hope it helps?
Danielle  :pig:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:10:30 pm »
stock fencing. but 4 acres is going to cost. could you make a smaller run say 50x100 meters. still cost but a lot cheaper.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »
Hi,
Don't worry about pigs jumping over your fence - it's the digging under you've got to watch out for  ;) If you run 2 strands of electic wire or tape at approx 6 inches and 18-24 inches from the ground that should do the trick.
As for introducing others - I think that would depend on what she's been used to. If she's been on her own for a while you'd maybe have to be a bit cautious and I'd go for an older pig rather than a youngster, but if she's been with other pigs it should be okay. Other, more experienced keepers, will be able to keep you right on that one.

Good luck with it, they are incredibly addictive and great fun to keep. Please post some photo's once she's settled in  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:25:15 am »
Like HappyHippy I would go for a smaller paddock with electric fencing.

Re introducing others, you may need to keep them separated by a fence for a few days to give her time to get used to another pig.  Also if at all possible when introducing them put them together into a new pen so that neither has the advantage of ownership.

(have some purple spray ready for minor cuts)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS