Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help im petrified!!!  (Read 2057 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
help im petrified!!!
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:38:55 pm »
 :o i have access to a friends walled woodland and i was at work and was given a pig that needed a home,i was going to start in spring with a bit more reaserch,course at reaseheath ag college ect and all of a sudden its happening too fast and i dont want to make too many huge mistakes.ive kept chickens ducks geese and turkeys and quail,so have some knowledge/experience about keeping livestock ive just joined the forum ,and wrote a post about fencing,so i devided to read old posts,now ive scared myself silly.
any advice will be very helpful as its just gone a bit quickly from planning to doing,but i have read a fair bit and done some research but reading actual experiances is scary.
any advice /help is gratefully recieved,as it is happening now,the holding number applied for, the paperwork starting, the pig waiting to arrive, a big white one ,i was going to get gos or similar,but this one is a handreared  pet so im starting here,and now  the ball is rolling down the hill.
ive read about bracken being poisonous,so do i need to cut it down,brambles being a pain. and escaping pigs it is an overgrown woodland of about 4 acres or more  walled off on 3 sides and fenced off on one,5ft wall,5ft fence  and a quarry wall.

cheers and i know itl be worth it, i just am nervous.

HappyHippy

Re: help im petrified!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:03:07 am »
Hi,
Try not to panic
At this time of year the bracken won't be a problem because of the frost, you'll just need to keep a watch in the spring and did it up, roots and all when it appears.
You say it's a big white, handreared pet pig, from your description I'm assuming it's a large white (the most common large scale produced pig) What are you planning to do with it ? Is it staying a pet or going to end up in the freezer ? It may well live to be 12 years or older. The native/rare breeds are far more suited to life outdoors, especially in the winter. You'll have to make sure that as you've only got the one that it has a good shelter and PLENTY of bedding to keep it warm, personally if I only had the one and was keeping it over winter I'd probably have a heat lamp in with it, as usually they huddle together to stay warm - I'd definately consider getting another to keep it company asap, they should definately have company to stop them getting bored and depressed. I would also pen a smaller area to keep the pig close at hand til you see how she settles - you don't want to be trailing over 4 acres in the snow or muck trying to find her if she goes awol. They can (and do) escape from time to time, but this is less likely if they're happy, well fed and have something to occupy them. Generally the more docile breeds (pretty much anything with big, floppy ears) won't try to often but the more prick eared breeds (Tamworths, Berkshires, Large whites) are a bit more active and likely to try in my humble opinion - other's may disagree !
If she's a happy, friendly pig I'd just take it one day at a time and try not to panic too much but on the other hand if she's a grumpy old sow I'd maybe book the spot at the abbetoir and get some piglets in the spring  ;) (No offence ;D)
But the main thing is - you are learning and getting as much info as you can, many folk don't and that's when things start to go wrong. Get a good book on keeping pigs, visit anyone in your area who keeps pigs and talk to them and we're always here to fill in the gaps - Good luck xx

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:41:04 am »
 I think I saw on another posting you plan to get another to keep her company that is imho the best way forward.  Two pigs are far less likely to bother to escape (providing well fed etc.) than one.

Andy Case wrote a handy little book which if you can get hold of a copy will help to dispell most of you fears.  You have plenty of space, and as has been suggested might be a good idea to make a small area to start with so that she/they can get to  know  you and her/their surroundings and to make it easier for you to pop in and out to keep an eye on them without having to tramp through the undergrowth.

We have a bracken problem here, which is controlled by the pigs.  Ours dont eat the roots or leaves, just dig it up and leave it to die.  They also root out the bramble roots which has virtually illiminated bramble wherever the pigs are on our holding.  For the most part (there is always the exception) they will stay contained quite happily behind the electric fencing.  Only Hilary who wrote the book on pig keeping, ever bothers to make determined escape attempts (usually when we have visitors or are just about to go out) she uses her companion to test the fence for her.  If they dont squeak its off and so is she.

Pigs are great animals, very intelligent full of fun and very addictive.  If I was to give you one bit of advice other than enjoy them and relax, it would be dont ever let your ex pet pig into the house.  They revert to house pets very quickly, but thats another story!

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:51:30 am »
thank you all for the advice,i havnt got pig yet,and im going to have to sort out  a few things first,i havnt even got food troughs.!!!
i was going to start with a couple of weaners and then go on from there,but im not going to look a gift pig in the mouth so to speak.it is apparantly a very nice pet pig,and due to circumstances it is now in a animal rescue where she is too big for them,so i know of  the pigs background,its just happening all a bit quicker than expected,as i would have been a bit more prepared in a few months and now it is get it done now.i know already of the localish abbatoir,feed store,my vets really good,and i do know quite a few pig keepers locally now,its amazing how many people keep them round here. ;D
now to look for electric fencing!!!!!and maybe another pig!!
and to tell you the truth i really dont know what to do with her, keep ,freeze or what,i guess il cross that when i get to it,after all shes been given to me as a  loved pet.maybe as i get more knowledgeable use her to produce piglets?
what could you cross a large white with to produce really nice pork?or is 3 year old pork still tasty or tough?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:58:09 am by scattybiker1972 »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:22:18 pm »
At 3, if she hasn't had a litter before, you'll probably struggle t get her in-pig. She'll be fine for bacon and sausages but joints and stuff will be awful big.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS