Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric fence VS young lambs?  (Read 2871 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
electric fence VS young lambs?
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »
just thinking about electric fence at the mo' as i've got some to set up soon and a random though popped into the head!
are young lambs that are anywhere from say a day or two upwards ok with electric fence? three strands with bottom one quite low so they won't slip out but i mean as in could a jolt mess up heart rhythm and give them cardiac arrest/heart attack? could it even burn them?

rather silly questions i know but i do want to protect my wee lambs when they pop out next year
Cheers Ed
P.S: this energiser if it helps
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/gallagher-powerplus-fencer-m300s-31j

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: electric fence VS young lambs?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:09:02 am »
they will be fine, most of mine are born behind electric fences

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:11:46 am »
Mine are born behind electric fences, they usually go up and get a good belting by putting nose/mouth on the wire, but then they learn quick and are usually fence trained for life pretty young!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:15 am »
Mine take no notice of it at all. They just go straight through, whereas their mums won't go near it
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:36 am »
As long as it is not your proper perimeter fence you are probably fine with electric tape (I would use tape like the one used for horse grazing rather than just wire), they will learn. Electric netting not ok for youngsters, they can easily get trapped in it.

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:10:21 am »
We have Greyface Dartmoor Lambs behind an electric fence. We thought the wool might insulate them but I guess not since none of them will go anywhere near it now! Never seen one touch it (one of our big rams did and he jerked back very quickly).  Now our problem is getting them out of the field! If the fence is there, even lying flat on the ground they will not go anywhere near it - you need to roll the darned thing way back. The only alternative is to pick them up and throw them over (not literally!) or if they are larger we have to cover their eyes and reverse them over it so they simply don't see it!

Having said all that, I wouldn't trust it to keep a ram from ewes - lust conquers all!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS