Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gates  (Read 5981 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Gates
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:39:59 pm »
Hi guys
 I have just put up a new fence but need to get a gait. The gap is 3.6m what would be a good price for a gait as i dont want to spend lots of money. Is a metal gate cheaper than a timber gate?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Gates
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:29:25 pm »
Hiya,

I just happen to have the IAE catalogue in front of me, but finding which prices correspond to which styles of gate is a nightmare!  However, the list prices for most 12 feet metal gates (just over the size you're looking for) are around £100 + VAT, if that's any help. I also managed to get a small discount on the list prices when I bought, so it pays to haggle  :thumbsup: . More info at www.iae.co.uk.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:38:34 am »
Well. you could go with a wooden frame made from 2 -12ft 2x4 boards as top and bottom and and your sides and a middle brace board you sides and middle boards would be about 36 inches in height  fasten togather with gal deck screws  and cover with what  is called hog wire here in the states some call it field fence about 36 inches in height and just let it set on the ground and fasten it to your post with some rope  easy to move and could be used with a few other gates like it to pen up or load stock if needed  :farmer:
James

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:56 am »
We use wooden gates from our local timberyard, made on site. Timber gates are much heavier, so easier to hang with two people, but also much more difficult to steal...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:55 am »
I would visit your local agricultural store and price them up.  If they are anything like the ones round here they will have both types in stock for you to compare.  Metal are cold to touch in winter but need less maintenance than wooden ones, also stock do not eat them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:35:43 am »
I would visit your local agricultural store and price them up.  If they are anything like the ones round here they will have both types in stock for you to compare.  Metal are cold to touch in winter but need less maintenance than wooden ones, also stock do not eat them.

...but it only takes one guy and his van to pick about ten up a night.... (it has happened round here)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:05 pm »
Metal gate with hinge bolts spot welded in place, not totally thief proof but a good deterrent against casual opportunist pinching. 

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 08:32:41 am »
Hi thanks for all the help have gone for a metal one from tornado wire. I do not think that it will be stollen as it is in the middle of the feild where we just put up a new fence so we could keep a tup. The metal ones where less expensive and I was told that the last longer.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:05:09 am »
We always hang our metal gates with the top hinge upside down so thieves can't just lift the gate off of the hinges, they would have to unthread the eyes to take the gate. Not totally foolproof but it is a deterrent.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 09:08:42 am »
We always hang our metal gates with the top hinge upside down so thieves can't just lift the gate off of the hinges,

and bulls!

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 09:13:03 am »
I don't keep cattle but yes it would stop them too!
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

scruffbag

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 07:48:35 am »
When you reverse the top hinge pin as suggested, like you would for cattle, to stop the eye nut being undonebmangle the left over thread with a hammer to make it impossible to undo the nut easily, if you need the gate off/adjusted you hacksaw the eye off and replace as they are about £3. This is what we do on all the roadside gates, you can also drill a hole through the hanging post and chain it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:32 am »
We always hang our metal gates with the top hinge upside down so thieves can't just lift the gate off of the hinges,

and bulls!

And pigs? :pig: :pig:

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 08:18:38 pm »
Hi guys
 I have just put up a new fence but need to get a gait. The gap is 3.6m what would be a good price for a gait as i dont want to spend lots of money. Is a metal gate cheaper than a timber gate?

I was told metal works out cheaper than timber. 

12' galvanised gates are £57, bolt throughs £6, drive ins £3, wooden 8ft x 8" x 8" post £30.50  (all exc VAT)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:41 pm »
Thanks guys for all the advice I might do that and get cctv in the feild as have just herd of someone nearby get their tup taken. ( NEVER MIND THE GATE)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS