Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys and hens??  (Read 4441 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Turkeys and hens??
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:41:53 pm »
After watching Landward lastnight, we have come to the agreement that next year we are going to rear our own turkeys for the table, we have space if not, but would they be happy sharing a run with hens, they wouldnt be in the same house as it is full, well with space fore a few extras and them still to be happy.

also what breeds are good table birds, i was thinking along the lines of Norfok Blacks :turkey:

Thanks
and a Merry Christmas

Cameron
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:18:13 pm by CameronS »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Turkeys and hens??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:56:54 pm »
the turkeys do like room so i would wonder about keeping them in a run. they are big birds and they like to wander.  our hens and turkeys get along fine. they don't like chicken fights and will step in. though not as energetically as the geese. you need to keep them well wormed and you should be fine. you do need to feed them diffrent food with diffrent protean levels. we have had blacks and bronzes and they have both made very nice sized birds. they are not as big as the whites but they are good enough.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »
Our hens get free range over a 7 acre field, so space is no issue, i was thinking, black or bronze, as i don't really like whites,

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:52:27 am »
Why not try a traditional breed like the bourbon red ? They make fantastic meat ,they are smaller than the commercial breeds but they are so much hardier.We ran ours free range with hens ,ducks and geese I can honestly say we have never tasted a bird like them even our fussy kids ate leg meat which was a first.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:27 am »
You might want to look into this a bit more. Turkeys, kept with chickens may be at risk of "blackhead" a parasitic condition which doesn't affect chickens but can kill turkeys. Ask your vet. about a suitable wormer to prevent this.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:29 pm »

I have four of the oddest mix breed turkeys ever (thats what happens when you buy eggs from ebay). I know that there is norfolk black and bourbon red in there somewhere, they have been totally free range up until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to shut then in a run after a neighbour who is building an extension to her house found one up her scaffolding looking in her bedroom window. This was despite having their wings clipped.
Anne

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:48:10 pm »
they are very energetic. so whats the problem apart from turkey poo on the scaffolding. if people insist on building big perchs thats what happens.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:49 pm »
i always assumed that hens and turkeys dont mix, blackhead or something, thats why ive avoided a few turkeys, am i wrong. whats the answer as i would like to keep a few for meat.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:55:18 pm »
I have heard of Blackhead, but still don't exactly know what it is, can someone enlighten me pleas  :)

Cameron

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »
its a bug that the hens worms carry. as long as you worm and keep them clean you should be ok. you need to keep them warmer for longer so if you can isplate for the first 8 weeks or so they should cope. but its aways a gamble. if you know that your neighbours or your own land has had it then give them a miss. but they are really nice birds and have lots of plus points. i would try them even if they are just for christmas. if you can eat them after looking after them.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:54:21 pm »
My hen house is too small to accommodate 4 turkeys, so they would not be housed directly with the rest of the hens, the only thing they would share are the out door drinkers and the field space.
if you can eat them after looking after them
as for this it should be easy, i have killed and ploated and eaten plenty of home reared surplus poultry, rearing and eating stretches as far as lambs and calves

Thanks for the responses, really helpfull  :)

Cameron

awf1954

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »
We have kept turkeys, hens, geese and ducks for years, all roam together but are housed separately every night. Never had any problems apart from some fighting with the males. All get different food and all get drinking water with Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in. This is supposed to alter PH level in gut and stop worm infestations, Never had Blackhead or any other disease for that matter Maybe we are just lucky but most of the hens and geese are over 12 years old.

lab7

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Perth
    • The Veterinary Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:51:16 am »
We've got turkeys and hens and they all mix together. Initially I kept them separate (was worried about blackhead), but found that one of the turkeys kept getting into the hen house and staying there! I think blackhead is more of a problem in younger turkeys, so would keep them separated until they are older. I think Norfolk Black are the best birds for table, but we also have Bourbon Red and Crolwitzer (is that how you spell it?), and they are all great.
Mary.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 12:23:52 pm »
Cameron, I know it's past Christmas, but if Santa's passing or if you have some spare dosh, get youself a copy of Black's Veterinary Dictionary.

Great read (!) but can turn you into a hypochondiac!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS