Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Hoof?  (Read 8466 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Golden Hoof?
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:39:45 pm »
One of our ewes has a touch of scald, so since I've heard good things about 'golden hoof', I thought I'd give it a go.

Well what can I say?  The mind boggles!!  :o

I wonder if you're supposed to put the condoms on the sore hooves only, or on all four hooves of the healthy sheep, to stop them from catching it?

So, does anybody know where I can buy golden hoof plus in anything less than a 20kg sack, or does anyone local want to go halves or thirds with me? (20kg is about £35).

Failing that, where I can buy glow in the dark sheep socks condoms in bulk? I was thinking of recreating that LED sheep handling video from Youtube  :innocent: .

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Golden Hoof?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:42:39 pm »
I've an open sack of golden hoof I dispense in small amounts. The recommended is a 10% solution for feet or 1% for skin. pm me if interested.
Maybe try BOOTS chemist for the condoms!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:48:12 pm »
 :roflanim:  :roflanim: no idea how to advise you but the recommended alternatives take some beating  :D

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:04:47 am »
I don't put much faith in the condoms when they are also selling follow on milk "for if the condoms didn't work"

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »
Well thanks to Farmvet, I managed to get hold of a wee bag of zinc sulphate. Fingers crossed it works - two minutes is a long time to keep a sheep's foot in a bucket!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:55:03 pm »
I have had a goat with recurrent scald that relapsed almost immediately when I had been purple spraying. Golden hoof almost completely resolved it with 1 dose and completely knocked on the head with the second. Worth every penny.

Have to say I did it the expensive way by putting it in a small foot bath so used quite a bit but put all of them through to try and prevent any cross spread in the barn. Seemed a lot easier to stand all 4 feet in rather than just the one and was surprisingly easy.

As to the condoms, they are free is you go to a family planning clinic ;) 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 11:20:13 pm »
I'm glad to hear that Beeducked. I'm going to look out for an old shower tray that I can set up as a footbath. One sheep at a time of course, but I don't think it will take too much to fill it to ankle level.

I think I'll stick to buying the condoms online though. Could you imagine going into a family planning clinic and saying you wanted some condoms for your sheep?  :o

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 11:46:10 pm »
I might suggest saying that you just have a very active sex life! Not sure the truth would go down well but better than just saying they were for your sheep!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:32 pm »
Look, I'm married. They're never going to believe that one!  :P

Maybe I could tell them I can't afford a proper teaser ram!?  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:53:12 pm by Womble »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS