Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toxovax  (Read 3255 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Toxovax
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:51:16 pm »
Just vaccinated our small flock with Toxovax.... Paperwork suggests ewes will have high temperatures for about 8 days....
Has anyone experienced any post- vaccine symptoms? How were the flock?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Toxovax
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:13 pm »
Most farmers don't notice anything at all.  Some of the observant ones find the faces are a bit less shiny but thats about all. I wouldn't expect to much problem this year with the sheep being in good order & the weather remaining settled.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:16:56 pm »
???  "the faces are a bit less shiny" ???    :roflanim: :roflanim:

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:47 pm »
Yes its true! Go and look at any really healthy sheep & the hair on the face is smooth & shiny. If they're at all under the weather it looses its shine and just looks a bit flat, just like hair in people. The fleece can show changes too but these are much slower & reflect the animal being below pare for a while - often the group are affeted eg liver fluke, trace element problems. Believe me I'm often called out to flocks where the only sign is  the faces have lost the shine.  Invariably the shepherd is right & there's an underlying problem grumbling away.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:11:49 pm »
oops sorry farmvet - thought it might have been a wee typo or something  !         I have sheep with black faces and notice subtle changes in their demeanour and general 'brightness' but not really noticed the shine you're referring to.  Interesting.   :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »
oops sorry farmvet - thought it might have been a wee typo or something  !         I have sheep with black faces and notice subtle changes in their demeanour and general 'brightness' but not really noticed the shine you're referring to.  Interesting.   :)

It is quite noticeable when you bring sheep that have been on good grass indoors for any reason, they lose the shine quickly - hence why people who show sheep seriously (my dad, not me  ;D) spend ages running out to let the show sheep out when the sun shines and back out again to get them in when it rains!

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:00 am »
This is why I LOVE tas.....
I was also a bit bewildered by the shiny faces - now I know a little bit more about my sheep...
Thanks all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS