Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing approximate running costs.  (Read 3062 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Electric fencing approximate running costs.
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:51 am »
I'm looking to fence about half an acre from Mr fox. Current plan is mix of rabbit netting and electric fence wires. I've been looking online to find out roughly how much it costs to run a couple of strands about 100m and the only I've found are something like 0.005p per day, so negligible.  Seems a bit too good to be true. Would an average bit of electric fence 100m long really only cost a few pounds a year to run? - I don't mind if it's a fiver or £20 but don't want to find out its £95 after six months!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Electric fencing approximate running costs.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:49:55 pm »

If you're running it off the mains Steph Hen, the cost will indeed be pennies - certainly nothing compared with the cost of buying the energiser and tape in the first place!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:15 pm »
Hurrah! Thanks very much!
We've already got tape and stakes from when we had ponies.
I'm due a couple of birthday presents so might ask for wooden posts and energiser  :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:51 am »
Essentially most of the running costs will be the maintenance Steph Hen. Things break and have to be replaced. Mains setup is far cheaper to run because you are not replacing batteries.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS