Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tractor hydraulics and external rams  (Read 6006 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
tractor hydraulics and external rams
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:50:55 am »
on our tractor we have just the one external pipe for things such as tipping trailers, our tipping trailer has a single action hydraulic ram
would a double acting hydraulic ram on something such as a 3 point forklift need two external pipes?

we are going to do a bit of work on the tractor this winter to get her road legal for my test next year and we are also going to mod the external pipe so it has its own spool valve and if need be i don't think it would be all that much harder to add an extra external pipe if need be
Cheers Ed

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
Re: tractor hydraulics and external rams
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:21:23 am »
I don't know which tractor you have in mind but on our Fergie we have a single connection for a tipping trailer, like yours, but it is possible to fit a three way valve to the hydraulics to allow additional connections so on that basis I would guess the answer is probably yes, but you'll need to check on your particular make/model. 

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:00:41 pm »
As I understand it single connections are for things like tipper trailers where the weight of the trailer pushes the oil back into the tractor through the same pipe in order to compress the ram.

Double acting rams require 2 pipes, 1 for oil flow and 1 for oil return.

I was advised (but have not done it) that if I want to use DARs on my Dexta (which has very simple hydraulics) that I could modify the rear axle filler plug to take a hydraulic connector for the return flow

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:25:49 pm »
ford 4610 tractor
Cheers Ed

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:15:03 pm »
Ed, not one I'm familiar with so I can't really offer much more, tho' if you track down a Ford agent or even your local ag. engineers they might be able to point you in the right direction.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:32 pm »
I'm not familiar with fords, but the one you mention is relatively modern so you will be able to rig up any configuration you like or need.  Your friendly local agricutural engineer is going to be your cheapest route...if he is like the bloke round our way chances are he will have any spool valves you need second hand in his shed.

What I would say is , the mod could easily cost a few hundred pounds, I personally wouldn't do it until you actually have an implement which needs it, as it can easily be done at any time, and depending what you buy the requirements could vary for flows returns and their positions.

What I'm trying to say is you could pay for expensive additional pipes which end up being not needed or in the wrong place. Get them fitted when you need them, when you will know exactly what you need.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »
all work will be carried out by myself and my father and i am looking at spool valves on ebay ATM

we are looking to add 2 double acting levers/ports for use with a 3 point mounted forklift

it is particularly convenient to do it this winter as we are doing a fair bit of tractor work to get her 100% road legal for me to do my test in next year
Cheers Ed

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:23:43 am »
Do you already have the fork lift ?

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 08:52:15 am »
no don't own the forklift yet but we know how many rams they have and that they are both double acting
Cheers Ed

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 10:01:56 am »
I'm thinking its possible The spool valve assembly may well be on the forklift, meaning you only need flow and return from your tractor.

As this one is ebay item no.  321383162558
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:09:33 am by stufe35 »

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:45 am »
You have the flow already on your tractor so you need to fit a return. There is probably already a blanked off port there you can use, but the alternative is to fit a coupling to the backend oil filler cap.

The forklift should come with a valve block, if it doesn't I have a 4 port one under my bench I could sell.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS