Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Little spaniel in need of a very loving home- UPDATE  (Read 10119 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Little spaniel in need of a very loving home- UPDATE
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »
I recently rescued a little spaniel.
She was advertised on Facebook as "Springer spaniel bitch 18 months. £200. Want rid of it as soon as possible".
Obviously everyone jumped on the post on FB saying "is she stolen?" etc. and the lad selling her removed the post within a couple of minutes of placing it.
I also thought that she could be stolen but managed to get in touch with the young lad selling her "for his uncle". Whether I did the right thing or not, I do not know but my theory was to just go and get her out of there and then try to find out if she was stolen etc.
Anyway I went and got her and speaking to the young lad and his uncle, it was quite apparent that they had indeed had her from a puppy. They use terriers and lurchers for rabbiting and thought a spaniel would be handy to flush the rabbits for the lurchers. Anyway they realised that this wasn't going to work and decided to sell her.
The little girl (we have named Daisy) was covered in fleas, stank to high heaven and her tail was really badly damaged. She had been tied up by her back leg with a piece of wire which her leg had grown around.  :rant:
I have had her for about 6 weeks now. The vets have removed the wire from her leg and were amazed by the lack of damage it has caused. She has had to have her tail amutated due to the damage and that has now healed beautifully. Despited everything she has been through she is amazingly friendly. She loves everyone and just wants to be touched. She is a real live-wire and does not stop for a second, but she is ever so good. She picks things up really quickly and is very trustworthy. She has had a couple of 'accidents' involving the chickens. On two occations the chicken have flown out of their pen and she has duely brought me the rather unimpressed looking hen (completely undamaged!). She is fine in the field with the sheep, fine with the cat, fine with other dogs, fine in the car etc etc.
So now that I know that she is happy and healthy it is time to find her her forever home. I am in no hurry; my priority is finding exactly the right home for her.
While they said she was a Springer, she is small and has very cocker-ish mannerisms and I suspect that she is more likely to be a sproker. Obviously she has no papers.
With some training she could make a nice beating dog. Her recall is fantastic and we have just started on the stop whistle.
She could also be a fab little agility dog, but I think that she would excel at some sort of detection work. She has a fab nose and loves sniffing things out. If anyone knows of anyone who could give this little girl the love she deserves, please could you messgae me?
She is such a love bug that it is difficult to get a picture of her as she's always stuck to my legs. I have put a couple belwo, but will try to get a better pic soon!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:26:39 pm by Jukes Mum »
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Little spaniel in need of a very loving home
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:29:00 am »
Whereabouts are you? We have a homing/rescue network here in Devon. A group of like-minded folk who will do their best to re-home homeless/ unwanted dogs. We make no charge for this but 'nor do we sell people's pets for them. Some of us will foster in an emergency( I have two fosters who have come back twice and I don't wonder why ::) ::) and they are here now for life) but in the main we aim to find homes for dogs/ dogs for homes.  Will give you my 'phone number if you pm me.
Sylvia.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:55:34 am »
just curious - did you buy her for £200 just to rehome her?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:12 am »
Whereabouts are you? We have a homing/rescue network here in Devon

I am in North Yorkshire. If you hear of anythink in these parts, please let me know x

just curious - did you buy her for £200 just to rehome her?
I did indeed.  ::)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:04:12 pm »
I got my rehome through Facebook, have a look at your local animal page I am sure there will be somebody and they will be close enough to weed out the unsuitable. What a nice thing to do and good luck.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 07:09:38 pm »
As someone with two cockers all I can say is well done you ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 11:31:24 pm »
Yes, well done on rescuing this poor girl, and helping her recover.  She deserves a forever home.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:45:41 am »
I'm sure I have had better ideas in my time  ;) but when my OH said "you can't help them all" I did think "no, but I can help this one"  :) I'm in no hurry for her to go anywhere but if anyone does hear of the right person, please drop me a line.  :)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
JM My neighbour has just taken on a retired sniffer spaniel that she got via her sisters contacts in the dog rescue world. Would you like me to ask if the process could work in reverse with a dog looking for a career as a sniffer dog? We are in near York (ish)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:19 am »
Buffy- that would be fantastic - thank you!
She'd make a fab sniffer dog and I'd really like her to have a job  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32:36 am »
 :fc:  This works out. It would be a great outcome all round
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:22:02 am »
I have pm'ed you...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »
I have pm'd you too.  Well done on rescuing her.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »
Good on you, she looks lovely and is safe. I hope she finds a forever home soon  :fc:

I wish I had the guts and money to get the pups out of my neighbours house. Complained at their abuse to pups,3 days later all pups gone.  :'(  Don't know where and the neighbours avoid me like the plague even using the front door when we all use the back. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS