Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 5243 times)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Opinions please
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:00 pm »
I noticed a ewe with a mucky bottom last night and this morning caught her up to tidy it up. I could find laid eggs in her fleece and about 40 wrigglers popped out from in her fleece.  A trim and tidy up revealed no apparent skin breaks. The whole flock was injected with ivomec a couple of weeks ago and i figured this should provide some protection from the maggots but gave her an injection then and there and rang my vet this afternoon for confirmation or suggestions as to what else to treat with.

Vets reply was to treat with penecillin. ??? I explained that my problem was live maggots  and what to kill them off with insisted on sheep competant vet and was told absolutely they were extremely good with sheep and  antibiotics would kill maggots and this was the treatment of choice ( i could hear the conversation going on in the background ) and ivomectin injectable wouldn't

Is my vet going mad or am I?   
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »
Ivermectin may help kill maggots on the sheep if they are eating the flesh, as they will be taking in the drug that is in the sheep's system. It is totally ineffective if the maggots have not started eating the sheep.
You need a pour on topical treatment, either Crovect (or equivalent product as crovect is hard to come by as stocks are low due to a really high demand this year) or Coopers Spot On.
You can certainly cover the sheep with antibiotics so that any broken skin won't get infected with bacteria as well, but please get something to kill any maggots and eggs that have crawled away under the fleece too. Some blue spray will at least give you a bit of time to get away to get some treatment for her.
I would make sure to preventatively treat the other sheep as well, give them all a good thorough going over. Crovect can be used both to treat and to prevent, so well worth asking for some of this from your vet, or a local farm supply shop, who sound like they will be a lot more helpful than your vets!!
Good luck

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:18:48 pm »
Hi,

Unfortunately I can't get hold of crovect.  I have versatrine which is a topical pour on ( deltamethrin ) but it doesn't say its ok for maggots. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »
Pfizer Spot-on is deltamethrin and you can use that to kill maggots - you have to put it directly on the affected area, at about 2ml I think.  Obviously it isnt the same product but ...

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »
Trim off completely, put maggot oil on affected areas. Then get hold of Clik or clikzen. Ideally crovect but Clik/clikzen will protection from further strik after maggot oil.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »
There are other drugs that are the same as crovect, eg. Ectofly, ask your local agricultural merchant.
Deltamethrin has some effect on killing maggots if applied directly to the area, but has no preventative effect.
I would speak to your local farm supply shop for something that treats and prevents, so you can treat the one with the maggots, and prevent anyone else getting any.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »
 There are a few products which you can buy on the internet no vet needed  , hopefully even in france , while I have no experience with any of them they must work or people wouldn't buy them .   NEEM PRO RIDDENCE           BARRIER BLOWFLY REPEL          NET TEX STRIKE PLUS .    I hope the versatrine killed the maggots ??

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:48:17 am »
A friend of mine won't use most chemicals on her animals ::) ??? - but she swears by neat tea tree oil for killing maggots and cleaning the strike area.  She buys commercial quantities, not tiny bottles from a shop.  Just a thought.  Personally, I'm sticking with Crovect (if I can buy any more).

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:01:40 pm »
Maggot oil for treatment?

Gone through 50 odd ewe lambs. Wormed, multi vit drench, dagged if required.  Many where spotless.  1 with small amount on tail. Several with small areas that have had some activity that has ceased so I gather from that the Clik has done a pretty damn good job.  Now 90 odd ram lambs to do. They will be clikzened.

I don't think I could sleep at night if the lambs were unsprayed til the threat is over..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:07:30 pm by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:04:52 pm »
It s always best practice to spray, I would always always go for prevention rather than cure. On go the chems, bugger off lucilia serata!!!!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:11:22 pm »
There are a few products which you can buy on the internet no vet needed  , hopefully even in france , while I have no experience with any of them they must work or people wouldn't buy them .   NEEM PRO RIDDENCE           BARRIER BLOWFLY REPEL          NET TEX STRIKE PLUS .    I hope the versatrine killed the maggots ??

Hi thanks for the information I shall take a look at see whats available . Fingers crossed she seems to be clear of them now.  :fc:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:13:05 pm by kanisha »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »
Maggot oil for treatment?

do you know what maggot oil is? I'm not sure my local "paysanne" will stock maggot oil but if I knew what it was I might be able to find an equivalent.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:30 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS