Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: foot rot  (Read 2504 times)

mcd

• Joined May 2014
foot rot
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:01 am »
I have a ewe with foot rot. Last Wednesday I gave an injection of oxytetrin combined with a good spray if teramycin. Saturday looked better, not so great yesterday and today back to square 1. Is there anything stronger I can get from the vet?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: foot rot
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:48 am »
You could pop her in the truck and take her to the vet for a jab of Micotil

mcd

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:19:17 am »
Ah great. At least now I know there is something stronger that might work. Especially with tupping time coming up. Many thanks.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:45:31 am »
Its not necessarily a case of strength quite, possibly the antibiotic chosen hasn't been able to penetrate all of the affected tissue, possibly it needed a longer course (second jab of the same) as it did improve after one treatment, obviously maybe the bacteria involved are resistant to the chosen drug - what have you.

All drugs struggle where there are abscesses and areas of dead tissue as they cannot get into it to kill the bacteria though some work better than others in this situation

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:54 am »
Give the antibiotics a helping hand by putting the sheep on dry ground or inside on clean straw.  Footrot bacteria love moisture.
An old welsh footrot remedy was to pack it with a mixture of tar and salt.  I know we love antibiotics, and they are great, but there are other ways too which can help.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:28 am »
Could try soaking the foot in a solution of Savlon until it has penetrated all the ffected tissue.  Will your vet prescribe just one dose of Footvax or would you consider vaccinating all your sheep?  It does work - we did ours in 2007, moved them onto clean ground and haven't seen scald or footrot since.  One of the best things we ever did - for our backs, for our bank balance and for the stock!

mcd

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:41:34 pm »
I would definitely consider vaccinating the whole flock. Thought about that last year. In the meantime I do still have one more dose of oxytetrin to use.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:17:08 pm »
Cheviot foot paste that's good stuff that you pack in the affected area..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS