Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coming back to my senses  (Read 15738 times)

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: Coming back to my senses
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 12:29:56 pm »
Thanks Karen, that's very helpful.  Have people on the forum found this to be the case in practice i.e. any problems with moveable structures in term sof the planners?  How about a caravan or bigger mobile home?  A tent's a moveable structure but someone said that they're frowned upon by planners...
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

HappyHippy

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 12:44:15 pm »
Ooooo planners - they who we love to hate  ;)
In my experience they're mostly ok, (although many of them just LOVE being little hitlers !) but have to abide by 'the rules' - problem is they keep changing the rules and not letting on  >:(
Have a look back through old posts in the coffee lounge section - I'm sure there are a fair few on the subject ;) It seems to vary a bit from one area to another - some are more open to giving a bit of leeway, some not. The only way to know for certain is to go and see them with a view to doing lots of compromising. For example go in saying you want to build a complete ranch style house with full farm yard and associated buildings and let them 'beat you down' to a log cabin and a few animal houses  ;D That way they feel as if they win  ;)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 08:43:47 pm »

Thanks for the input on land prices.  £2000 per acre in Scotland for arable land sounds reasonable.  The £4000 per acre - where abouts in the country was that Fergie, for comparison? 

Lanarkshire, Scotland, but close to a town (ie, where much of the land is used for equine leisure activities).

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 10:03:43 pm »
Prices in Scotland drop dramatically once you hit the far north. Have a look at Caithness, Sutherland and Orkney where you can pick up a house with some land relatively cheaply, although you're likely to have to do work on the house. Planners here in Orkney are pretty amenable as long as you play the game and work with them.

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 07:20:15 am »
Cheers.  How's the weather in Orkney for smallholding Malc?  I noticed that land prices seemed to drop further north.  I don't mind remoteness (much) but remoteness and rotten weather would be a bad combo for me.
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »
Well you know there are no trees there - does that give you a clue?  or is that Shetland? ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »
Could not live without trees around...I love trees...always have...always will!!

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:52 am »
Yep, I'm guessing trees will be an essential part of any setup I have.  Everything I've read so far says that woodland is one of the most valuable resources to have as a smallholder.
Marcus Aurelius

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 07:25:52 pm »
Can I ask why? I've often thought of buying a small wood, but just because I fancy having my own wood to run my dogs through.  I'd love to hear a good reason so I can go ahead and pander to my whim  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 05:01:04 am »
I'm sure someone far more qualified than I could give a better answer.  But from what I've read a wood is excellent for renewable fuel, building materials, food [mushrooms, nuts etc], flowers [for your bees].  I've heard woodland described as 'the most efficient way to collect solar power' i.e. in the form of fuel I suppose.  I think if you coppice your trees then you can yield a lot of wood for burning, charcoal, making things etc.  As well as being ecologically very supportive to the air, insects and animals.  And a pleasant environment to be in of course...
Marcus Aurelius

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 11:39:30 am »
That's good enough for me - but not being physically able to work on trees myself I will need to assess costs of doing that.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 12:25:45 am »
The planning laws in Scotland are changing - I believe in 2010. Then what is now zoned as agricultural will be easier to live on. We are living in a static caravan next to a shed. It just so happens that the shed is quite comfy with a woodburner and insulation - so we spend more time in it than in our static.
I know people on the west coast who are creative with interpretation of the rules. One friend is building a 'shed' that can't be seen from the road because there is a high bank inbetween.
I've attached a photo of our 'shed' in case it gives you ideas. I should say we got to this point by chance. We were building a house until the credit crunch cruched our mortgage. But actually we like it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:13:19 pm by marigold »
kirsty

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:28 am »
Thanks Kirsty.  Didn't know that about the laws.  Wonder what's driving it?  Concern for more living space, or some other reason?

Your 'shed' looks bigger than some houses!
Marcus Aurelius

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »
No, the planning laws already changed - see the Planning (Scotland) Act 2006. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2006/pdf/asp_20060017_en.pdf

They are trying to get more housing built in the countryside but preferably with workplaces attached.  It's to alleviate the strain on the city centres I believe.  There are still very strict criteria which I am presently trying to overcome

HappyHippy

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 12:24:26 pm »
Kirsty, your shed looks great  ;D
Hope that woodburner keeps you cosy !
Karen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS